Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WG111v3: Urg... I need help but I doubt anyone can.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: WG111v3: Urg... I need help but I doubt anyone can.

Your machine should be able to handle it Its something else to do with the WPA encryption and other networks I think
    Couldn't find that link by the way Will track it down
    Got to go Zz Sorry and good luck
    Will get back

Edit: Just try searching the forum with "netgear w111v3" there are many threads relating and its a good idea to do a bit of reading, sometimes you find what you need without ever having to ask That's learning!
    Last edited by sailthesea; March 12th, 2009 at 05:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

i am new also to 8.10. to end the wireless connection pain i purchased the Belkin USB F5D7050 based on recommendation of others. Immediate out of the box connection on both of my PCs and laptop. i am not aware of any non-working situations. i have read where use of native drivers is preferred, ie, no use of ndiswrapper.

Beans

I'm trying to avoid buying anything new... I'm skint and this linux venture is not a priority... just a testing thing... maybe if I got my present one working I could get myself into linux and then in future it would become a priority hmmm.

I'll keep looking for a solution... seems like there should be when the thing obviously works and my comp recognises it... just annoying error at the last step...

Beans

Weird...

Started it up again this morning and noticed a little message about wireless networks being available in the top right... showed me all the networks... i clicked mine, it asked for WPA pass key etc... and away I go...

So, for 8.10 (intrepid ibix, I think?) xubuntu you CAN make a WG111v3 work by following the steps suggested in

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=31926

except that things might stop working when you get to step 7... just that if you restart your laptop again in the morning you will magically get a little graphical wireless wizard in the top right of your desktop (?!!!!)

Brilliant... thanks everyone... hopefully this will be the start of my wonderful relationship with linux... just need to find an autocad substitute... ehem (!).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Glad to see you solved the problem You'll find you have to do quite of that Buy it,s all good fun!
    If your looking for CAD packages there are a couple in the repos , not quite up to say AutoCAD 2007 But as a one time AutoCAD user they look adequate
    If you interested try looking at

http://www.ribbonsoft.com/qcad.html (I checked this one works)

To install it: Applications>Add/remove
    Find QCad in graphics and check the box
    Follow the install instructions and check it out (although running it may tax your hardware )

Don't be afraid to ask for help even if it sounds stupid coz everyone new to linux has the same problem Its different from what your used to, there is so much you can actually DO!
    Happy Voyage

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mark bower View Post
    i am new also to 8.10. to end the wireless connection pain i purchased the Belkin USB F5D7050 based on recommendation of others. Immediate out of the box connection on both of my PCs and laptop. i am not aware of any non-working situations. i have read where use of native drivers is preferred, ie, no use of ndiswrapper.
    +1 for the Belkin it works for me I'm using it on a Dell GX 240 I got at a fleamarket for $100. Last week it was on sale at the walmart website for $35
    The Maximum Effective Range of An Excuse is Zero Meters

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Last edited by lindsay7; March 13th, 2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: error
    Six Saturdays a week for me.

Beans

Smile Re: WG111v3: Urg... I need help but I doubt anyone can.

Yep! thats the Key. When you use this Netgear WG111v3, use ndiswrapper and use the WPA2 personal key and everything works. Even after all the effort it still wont connect sometimes but a reboot does the trick. I'm hoping that there is a native driver in the jaunty that will rid the need of ndiswrapper.
    In fact there was a rtl8187b driver but wasnt optimised for the v3 so i would have to take my desktop to the place where i hooked my router to work. The windows drivers with the ndiswrapper just work fine. Hoping that this gets sorted out with jaunty.. waiting for tomorrow!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12