Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu education

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu education

The UBT (Ubuntu Beginners Team) has been collaborating with Ubuntu Classroom and we would like to start offering educational opportunities to the community.

We are proposing IRC sessions focused on specific topics of interest to the community with supporting documentation on the Ubuntu Forums or Ubuntu Wiki. The goal of the IRC sessions is to enable a interactive teaching / learning format where the community can discuss issues and participants have an opportunity for Q&A.

We have some interesting topics we will be offering including packaging, bug reporting / triaging, using Launchpad, how to IRC, and Q&A sessions.

I am going to start with 2 IRC Q&A sessions on Security ( March 19th and March 26th , #ubuntu-classroom on Freenode or Ubuntu Servers , start 00:00 UTC)

For additional information on topics / sessions see :

1. UFT Education Events
    2. Proposed Topics (Feel free to add to the list, it's a wiki page)
    3. Education Focus Group

These sessions are open to all and, as this is new for the Beginners Team, we are open to feedback or suggestions.

If you do not know how to use IRC, I posted some basic information here

For additional information on the Beginners Team see these links :

Instructors are also welcome (you do NOT need to be a member of the team). If by chance anyone reading this is interested in running a session please contact bodhi.zazen (either by PM on the forums or via IRC on #ubuntufourms-beginners) or the Ubuntu Classroom.
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; June 10th, 2009 at 02:24 AM.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu education

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    These sessions are open to all and, as this is new for the Beginners Team, we are open to feedback or suggestions.
    I think this is great and I have a suggestion. It seems to me that running a classroom with an IRC session is kind of limiting, both for the instructors and students. Why don't you prepare the course using SCORM tools and use the IRC session just for discussion?

There are several open source LMS applications out there like Moodle, which support SCORM. Some of them don't even need a server. The courses can be distributed by torrent and each student open the SCORM files on their own machine. I'm sure you have a good reason to use IRC, but using SCORM could be great. I'm sure that there would be a lot of people that could help the instructors to get familiarized with SCORM. I'm one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

We would like to go in that direction. At this time we are starting with our "roots" ie wiki and forums.

In the long run we would like to go with Moodle, at least for the more comprehensive coverage of the subjects we wish to cover.

If you have experience and are willing to help us we would love to have you
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.

Beans
    Distro

We would like to go in that direction. At this time we are starting with our "roots" ie wiki and forums.

In the long run we would like to go with Moodle, at least for the more comprehensive coverage of the subjects we wish to cover.

If you have experience and are willing to help us we would love to have you
    Existing wiki and forums content can be easily incorporated into SCORM compliant materials without additional efforts. If you have plans to go for Moodle, you could start using a standalone SCORM creator, so whenever you decide it's time to use Moodle you will have all the material ready to be uploaded into Moodle database, already SCORM compliant.

Can we chat about this on an IRC channel? Just let me know which one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

#ubuntuforums-beginners on Freenode (Or Ubuntu Servers).
    Last edited by bodhi.zazen; March 11th, 2009 at 11:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro

#ubuntuforums-classroom on Freenode (Or Ubuntu Servers).
    There is ubuntu-classroom but no ubuntuforums-classroom. I'm on both anyway (created the second one on freenode)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Sorry, I edited my post

That is what I get for multi tasking (been busy getting this set up, my apologies).

Beans
    Hidden!

yea its a great idea =D>, we use moodle in college, for lecture notes & assignments and stuff, its really user friendly
    What arrests my attention...
    is the fact, that this space is inhabited.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

All are welcome and nothing special is required.

The Q&A sessions are on IRC so pidgin or xchat (or any other of many irc clients).

Other then that any web browser well do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I like the idea.

If I remember correctly, Ubuntu class was offered two or three months ago. HOw did it go?

I am interested in learning more about bug reporting and bug triaging

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast