Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to install Vulture's Eye for a complete beginner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question how to install Vulture's Eye for a complete beginner

I already know that this thread exists.http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-ins...in-ubuntu.html
    I am having trouble with the instructions.

I'm stumped by various messages at different times. Fakeroot? su- ? Run message in /usr/local/? I'm asking for hand-holding guidance if you can tolerate assuming that I know *nothing*. I have done things successfully with the terminal before (sudo apt-get install), but I don't know how to switch directories. I don't know the difference between a tr.gz and a .bz and a zip. I vaguely understand how to unpack an archive (package?) but I don't know where to put stuff.

I'd really like to play specifically Vulture's Eye (or Claw), not the text version.

-----------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu Geek says:
    ==Preparing your system
    ==First you need to install the following dependencies

==sudo apt-get install byacc flex libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev

==Now you need to download the latest version of Vulture’s from here using the following command in /usr/local/
    ==wget http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/v..._unix-1.bin.sh

Confusing to me. I don't understand. See output in attached image, according to what I vaguely understood of instruction.

==Now you need to make the script executable using the following command

==chmod +x vultures-2.1.0-full_unix-1.bin.sh

==Now you need to execute the script using the following command

==./vultures-2.1.0-full_unix-1.bin.sh

==A few compilation warnings later, the game is installed in the vulture directory in your home’s. You can play either Vulture’s Eye or Claw.
    ----------------------------------------------

So I'm stuck. I think I have all the correct dependencies.... or do I? What would I need to do to switch to /us/local/ to input the command in the right format?

My signature has relevant information about type of system and release version.
    Proud Ubuntu user since 7.04. 11.04/Gnome2 for personal machine and family media server. 10.04 Netbook remix

Beans
    Distro

Re: how to install Vulture's Eye for a complete beginner

Post the output of:
    Code:
    ls
    from the terminal.

I think the game is installed in the vulture folder in your home directory:

Code:
    cd vulture
    ls

Beans
    Distro

The results of both are included.

*Thank you* for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Proud Ubuntu user since 7.04. 11.04/Gnome2 for personal machine and family media server. 10.04 Netbook remix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Looks like your wget command pulled the html web page, not the program you were going for ....

Looks like what you've downloaded are the files called "dashboard." I see from your wget output that it resolved through several URLs before downloading this. I would try to get an actual URL for the file you know you're looking for and wget it directly...
    yeats - Ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro

I found some sites in my travels. I also included a shot of my own desktop with a couple of packages (and extracted files?).

Completely at a loss as to which package will work, and what to do to get the correct one to work.

Again, *thanks* for helping.

I keep trying to remind myself that this is a project that will ultimately lead me to understand my computer better, but the frustration I feel is enormous.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I found some sites in my travels. I also included a shot of my own desktop with a couple of packages (and extracted files?).

Completely at a loss as to which package will work, and what to do to get the correct one to work.
    Installing from source requires basic knowledge of the command line/shell/terminal/bash (whatever you want to call it). If you don't know the basic commands to move around, you might want to halt this project temporarily until you get some skills under your belt (IMHO ). But I'll help you as I can...

Okay - to return to your original post, the instructions from the Ubuntu-Geek site are pointing to a file that is no longer at that site, which is why the wget command is not working the way you (and the instructions) intend. [wget is a utility that downloads a file from the Internet (you can think "web-get" if that helps you remember).]

If I were you, I would start over. Delete all the files you've downloaded for this and start with a clean slate. Now, return to the Ubuntu Geek site and instead of the wget command that failed, substitute this:

Code:
    wget http://downloads.usrsrc.org/vultures/2.1.2/vultures-2.1.2-full_unix-1.bin.sh
    Then follow the rest of the instructions on the site. If that doesn't work, post back and perhaps someone can walk you through.

Again, *thanks* for helping.

I keep trying to remind myself that this is a project that will ultimately lead me to understand my computer better, but the frustration I feel is enormous.
    Happy to help. There's a lot to learn. My advice is to start using the command line for basic functions - moving around, etc. This is a good start:

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/linuxfiles.html
    yeats - Ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro

MANY thanks, Chris. As soon as I'm done with work for the day and I get home, I will indeed try as you suggested.

I very much appreciate your help.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, there is movement forward. The wget command seemed to do something, and the download took much longer.

I made some errors in the chmod command, I forgot that instead of vultures-2.1.0 it should have been vultures-2.1.2. That tripped me up twice, but I realized it and fixed the error.

The directory was indeed there, but it was empty.

Beans

Hello this is relevant to my interest as when I input this [code]
    wget http://downloads.usrsrc.org/vultures/2.1.2/vultures-2.1.2-full_unix-1.bin.sh
    The only output I get is

andy@ubuntu:/usr/local$ wget http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/vultures/attachment/wiki/downloads/2.1.0/vultures-2.1.0-full_unix-1.bin.sh
    --2010-01-18 12:30:24-- http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/vultures/attachment/wiki/downloads/2.1.0/vultures-2.1.0-full_unix-1.bin.sh
    Resolving www.darkarts.co.za... 209.20.76.105
    Connecting to www.darkarts.co.za|209.20.76.105|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    2010-01-18 12:30:24 ERROR 404: Not Found.

is there a working link out there? I dont mean to necrothread but...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm looking for it too.
    It looks like vulture's eye completly disepeared from the net... Nothing in the karmic repositories, nothing on the official website, no sources nowhere...
    If someone got a clue...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast