• Other(explain)

1 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Reading have its own LoCo team?--Poll to be included

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Lightbulb Should Reading have its own LoCo team?--Poll to be included

For the record, this question would be much easier to answer if the Reading Railroad still existed in full. My parents used to take the train from Reading to Philly every morning for classes at Temple University. The above questions are just to scout for interest and elicit discussion, nothing more at this point.
    I haven't been around for ages; please bear with me as I get used to Linux again. I hope things work out better this time.

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: Should Reading have its own LoCo team?--Poll to be included

Reading is and always was an engineering/industrial city. My physics professors like Linux because it can be customized more easily for delicate calculations(subatomic particles, to be specific). We could use more Ubuntu power here, particularly to build websites for neighborhood associations and non-profits, namely the local Schuylkill riverfront development corporation.

I'd considered that a Reading group could remain an adjunct of the Philly group. Regardless, I am trying to find some people to carpool with. An in-between location for certain events could be an attempt to get people of various regions to come. Pottstown, Phoenixville, and Amtrak or SEPTA served areas might be options. How regional can a group be?
    I haven't been around for ages; please bear with me as I get used to Linux again. I hope things work out better this time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Should Reading have its own LoCo team?--Poll to be included

Just so we get our terms right, the "LoCo Team" is the Pennsylvania team. LoCo teams are organized on a country or state level and don't get smaller than that. What you'd be looking to start is a regional team of the Pennsylvania LoCo.

Our wiki page has some arbitrarily decided regions, and at the bottom says "Add yours!" for just this reason, want a Reading team? Start one!

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PennsylvaniaTeam

Ultimately it really comes down to being if you build it, they will come. Regional subteams just start out with one or two committed members and they grow from there. So contact some of these groups you're interested in getting involved with, drop into IRC or on the mailing list and let us know you want some CDs to hand out, get things rolling, plan some events. We'll then help you publicize the events and get you on your way Reading isn't too far from me (about 45 minutes), if you planned an event, I'd show up!
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Should Reading have its own LoCo team?--Poll to be included

I notice that the Forums designate you as an Ubuntu Member with all triangle-circles. Are you actually considered an employee of Canonical, because it seems as though you also sell laptops with pre-installed Ubuntu on them.
    Last edited by treepolitik; March 11th, 2009 at 04:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by treepolitik View Post
    I notice that the Forums designate you as an Ubuntu Member with all triangle-circles.
    Just means I'm a member of the Ubuntu project:

http://www.ubuntu.com/community/processes/newmember

I don't sell preloaded system personally... but the Philly team is involved with a couple projects that do:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Pennsylvania...rLaptopProject
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Should Reading have its own LoCo team?--Poll to be included

It looks like the Operations Teams within the Pennsylvania LoCo Team are committees. So would I need to pick one of those types that I'd like my group to be?

Or, could I just give you dates/places once I confirm them, to have a distribute/install party. Then I don't need approval from anyone to have events as long as they're within the Code of Conduct, and as long as they're not controversial to the mission of Ubuntu?

About venues: I'll schedule them at libraries, colleges, coffee houses, etc. From what has transpired elsewhere, I'm assuming that any venue with a political bias would not be a good idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think that you've got the gist of how this works.

Once you have an event confirmed, let me know and I'll get you some cds (I can get you some 8.10 Ubuntu Desktop editions (32bit)).

Have you joined the mailing list and the team in launchpad?

-Bret
    - Bret
    Pennsylvania LoCo Team Contact
    http://breadthofreality.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by treepolitik View Post
    It looks like the Operations Teams within the Pennsylvania LoCo Team are committees. So would I need to pick one of those types that I'd like my group to be?

Or, could I just give you dates/places once I confirm them, to have a distribute/install party. Then I don't need approval from anyone to have events as long as they're within the Code of Conduct, and as long as they're not controversial to the mission of Ubuntu?
    For planning events there is a wiki page showing the basic channels of communication to follow. Find it here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PennsylvaniaTeam/Administriva

Also, give yourself enough time to properly promote and staff any event. Assume nothing. Have plenty of signs and maps and maybe even people at the site to greet people and direct them to the event. This info comes from prior FAILS.

Have a blast and welcome to the team.
    irc - freenode #ubuntu-us-pa
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    -- Jedi Master Yoda

Beans
    Distro

It will probably be late summer or fall before I get stuff started. I recently took a night job and am working with a new organization that would be compatible with Ubuntu, but we still need to get a lot of paperwork done. I'll keep everyone updated, but probably less frequently.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry everyone, I never did it. I got too stressed out with work and forgot the whole thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast