Thread: Where is Device Manager?

Beans

Red face Where is Device Manager?

Where is device manager as in windows? I want to disable my onboard USB as it conflicting with my USB card, in windows it was just as easy as it can be [Device manger > hardware > right click any device you want to disable] thats it! I want toknow is there any manager like this for Xubuntu Intrepid and how to install it offline as my pc doesnt have a net connection, Good Day!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Where is Device Manager?

I know there's some sort of "Device Manager" for Ubuntu, but it's buried to encourage resolution of the actual problem.

When you say your onboard USB is conflicting with your USB card, what exactly do you mean? There are at least three interpretations, and I've no doubt that your issue may be a fourth.

1. You have an onboard USB hub and an external USB hub; the two appear to conflict.
    2. You have an onboard USB hub and a USB flash drive; the drive doesn't appear when plugged into the USB hub.
    3. Your USB hub is conflicting with some manner of flash memory (Secure Digital, XD, MemoryStick, CompactFlash, or other).
    4. ???

The simplest way to install the program offline (once I track down my copy of The Ubuntu Book, and assuming it's not installed by default) would involve downloading the .deb package on a separate system to some manner of removable media (USB drive, flash card, CD, DVD) then loading that media in your PC and double-clicking the file to run it.

UPDATE: It's gnome-device-manager but it requires at least one separate library to run it, and it's not included by default (yet). It also doesn't allow you to disable modules (modprobe -r module_name_here), which - IMO, in Windows - is the equivalent of "never mind that it doesn't work, we'll work around that by killing some of your hardware". Perhaps with further information, your system can be made to run properly? Is a lack of software support also why it has no Internet connection, or does it simply lack the hardware for that (if it's software, then that can be fixed, too)?
    Last edited by orethrius; March 10th, 2009 at 11:00 AM.
    Linux for Absolute Geniuses: Real Issues. Real Solutions.
    HP Pavilion dv8210us. Since 9.10, no longer such a struggle. Still worth it.

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: Where is Device Manager?

You can install a package called HardInfo that will give you hardware information and details... www.getdeb.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

System > Administration > Hardware drivers would be closest thing to hardware GUI
    I'm not afraid of storms, for I sail my own ship

Beans

If you have a USB controller card, and you don't want to use the USB ports built into the motherboard, you should disable the onboard USB in the BIOS, not in the OS.

Beans

I have already done that but it doesnt solve the problem, i need a device manager like windows so that i can disable the onboard usb hub, please if anyone knows such a downloadable software for xubuntu intrepid ibex plz letme know so that i can download and have a happy linux experience! Also wherever i try to download win32/avi codecs and vlc/media player it says "dependency not satisfied" plz help! i cannot listen mp3 or play videos

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kunaly2k View Post
    I have already done that but it doesnt solve the problem
    So you disable it in the BIOS, but the OS still sees it? Are you sure you disabled it? Does your motherboard have BIOS updates that might fix this problem?

Furthermore, randomly disabling hardware in the OS may work around the issue, but it doesn't solve it. Just because you can do it in Windows, that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

How do you know that your onboard USB conflicts with the other USB controller?
    Can you run this:
    Code:
    sudo update-usbids
    sudo update-pciids
    and post the output of:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C bus
    Also wherever i try to download win32/avi codecs and vlc/media player it says "dependency not satisfied"
    Try and get a more specific error message. "Dependency not satisfied" doesn't tell us much. Post output of:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install vlc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

The output of "apt-get install vlc" is probably going to be something like
    Code:
    Could not resolve 'us.archive.ubuntu.com'
    E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
    Because he specifically said that he's working offline.

But I concur that randomly disabling hardware is an ugly solution.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans

i want to disable my onboard usb controller! downloaded gnome device manager but it just gives details of the drivers, please help coz i am not able to use my usb drives as it sometimes detects them and the very next second doesnt, thanks