Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epson perfection 2580 scanner issue

Epson perfection 2580 scanner issue

Hi,

My Epson 2580 scanner worked perfectly first time with Ubuntu Intrepid with Xsane.

Now to my dismay it brings up this error when I try to start Xsane..

Failed to open device 'snapscan:libusb:001:003': invalid argument

I used synaptic Package Manager to uninstall and reinstall Xsane and Sane (NB : I added Sane after installing Xsane)

When I type lsusb as root I get:-

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 05fe:0202 Chic Technology Corp.
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04b8:0121 Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection 2480 Photo
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I am running Ubuntu 8.10 on a Toshiba A50 Notebook.

I also found some forum hints which lead to this page

http://download.tuxfamily.org/arakhn...on-perfection/

which I installed but had no success with either.

Please help?

Cheers,

Dion

Beans

Re: Epson perfection 2580 scanner issue

I also have the exact same issue as described by dionp2.

I installed Ubuntu 8.10, 11-Apr-09 and verified that all of my hardware and peripherals were working correctly under Ubuntu. All was A-OK then with my overall system. Very Cool !

I actually scanned several photos using XSane Image Scanner with no trouble at all.

Since then, I did a number of the automatic system upgrades and other package installs and now XSane now throws an error when scanning for devices;
    Failed to open device 'snapscan:libusb:001:008':invalid argument.

Maybe this is related to my scanner interface problem. Also after system upgrades and other package installs I am getting numerous USB error messages at bootup.
    "USB 1-2: device description Read/64 error -110. Unable to enumerate USB device on port?

When I figure it out, or find a posted solution I will reply back with the solution.

Strange because about a week ago after a few more upgrades I tried the scanner again and now it works perfectly. Although this makes me kind of scared about doing new upgrades if it kills my scanner. It is a pain to have to boot into a windows virtual machine just to do scans.

Although now when I do an lsusb at the command line it says that I have an Epson 2480 even though the actual scanner is a 2580

lsusb
    Bus 004 Device 006: ID 04b8:0121 Seiko Epson Corp. Perfection 2480 Photo
    Bus 004 Device 004: ID 152d:2338 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. JM20337 Hi-Speed USB to SATA & PATA Combo Bridge
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 05fe:0202 Chic Technology Corp.
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

Not sure about this one and don't have the time to look into it.

Beans

I resolved it, but the solution was time consuming to find on the web and time consuming to implement.
    After several, try this, try that, try it again attempts from various web pages, I found the ONE that did the trick.
    I am a total newbie to Linux and Ubuntu, but am pretty experienced on the Windows side of the world. So I am struggling a bit to learn terminal commands and the "inards" of the file system / OS.

Here was my fix;
    I found a web page; http://www.arakhne.org/epson/index.html
    This web page instructs you get a copy the driver file "esfw41.bin" from the Windows Installation of the Epson Perfection 2580 Scanner.

This driver file is encryted into the CAB file on the Epson Scanner Windows installer CD-Rom, but luckily I use the scanner on a different Windows XP PC and did a Windows search for esfw41.bin.

Side Note: I had to run sudo commands in a terminal in order to authorize the creation of the new epson-perfection folder and the editing of the snapscan.conf file.

I created an "epson-perfection" folder in the system files under /usr/lib/epson-perfection/
    I copied the esfw41.bin file into the /usr/lib/epson-perfection/ folder.
    I then edited a file snapscan.conf in the system files under /etc/sane.d/
    /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf to add the specific driver needed for the Epson 2580 Scanner.

Snippet in the snapscan.conf file:
    #Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if
    # firmware upload is needed by the scanner
    I COMMENTED OUT THIS LINE
    #firmware /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin
    I ADDED THIS LINE
    firmware /usr/lib/epson-perfection/esfw41.bin

I then ran the Xsane Image Scanner and it was then happy, found my scanner and I was able to scan a photo.

Mate that's orsm.

Admittedly painful and a lot of work but orsm none the less.

I wonder if we can get Xsane or Ubntu to add it to their archives for automatic updates etc.

The universe thing in the sources file.

Cheers,

D

Finally got around to installing that scanner driver. Had to unplug/ plugin the scanners USB cable and turn the scanner on and off but it works a treat.

It also looks like arkane has added sources for ubuntu although I tried that and it didn't work.

If anyone needs the esfw41.bin file I have zipped it up and attached it to this post. So no need to go looking for it now.

Cheers.

D
    Attached Files Attached Files

Actually the sources did update XSane but not the driver for my specific scanner.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dionp2 View Post
    Finally got around to installing that scanner driver. Had to unplug/ plugin the scanners USB cable and turn the scanner on and off but it works a treat.

It also looks like arkane has added sources for ubuntu although I tried that and it didn't work.

If anyone needs the esfw41.bin file I have zipped it up and attached it to this post. So no need to go looking for it now.

Cheers.

D
    I have Karmic and Epson Perfection 2580 Photo, and I dowloaded the "libsane-epson-perfection-2580_3.0-21arakhne1_all.deb" package from arakhne:
    http://download.tuxfamily.org/arakhn...on-perfection/

I installed it, but after that launching Xsane resulted in an error, saying that there was an I/O communication problem with the scanning device.
    This is most probably because the firmware "bin" file included in the DEB package from "arakhne.org" is not updated.

So I downloaded the zip kindly posted by dionp2 (many many thanks for the comfortable link, I'm a lazy man! ), even if I think I could have taken it directly from the Windows disk, and i copied the bin in the zip archive as super user, and put in the /usr/lib/epson-perfection folder.

After that, I powered off the scanner, unplugging the electrical cable (brutal, Isn't it? XD but there's no other way to turn off! :S), and Xsane launched without any problem!

Yeah!

EDIT: the frontend is even better than in Window$!
    Result ():
    Last edited by dennymallow; December 28th, 2009 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Tried the device and works perfectly

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thumbs up Re: Epson perfection 2580 scanner issue

Downloaded the firmware file (no .deb packages, just the http://luc.byhet.free.fr/epson2480/esfw41.bin), copied it into the suggested directory and edited one line in /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf so that it points to the firmware -- and it works! Thanks a lot

UPD: Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala.
    Last edited by neithere; January 14th, 2010 at 04:08 PM.

Beans

Works in Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid! - xSane Epson perfection 2580 scanner driver

This still works as of Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid!

Lucid comes with Simple Scan, which doesn't work, so you can either uninstall it or just ignore it, but you need to download/install xSane.

Then download the firmware file http://luc.byhet.free.fr/epson2480/esfw41.bin from post #9,

And follow these steps from #4:
    Create the directory /usr/lib/epson-perfection/
    Copy the esfw41.bin file into the /usr/lib/epson-perfection/
    Open the file /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf with gedit, then add the following line:

Code:
    firmware /usr/lib/epson-perfection/esfw41.bin
    Save the file, then launch xsane and there ya go!
    You may need to unplug/plug the scanner back in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast