Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix streaming on Linux?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Netflix streaming on Linux?!

I got past the version check, and have Moonlight (open source silverlight alternative) but I get a message saying Silverlight is not installed

Does anyone have any ideas?

By the way, I used a Firefox plug-in called Modify Headers to get past the OS check at Netflix.

Type: Modify
    Name: User-Agent
    Value: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0)

I feel I am soooo close!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Netflix streaming on Linux!!

Netflix needs SL2 support, your Moonlight package only supports SL1 at the moment.
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ahhh! Thanks for the reply Hopefully SL2 comes to Moonlight soon...

EDIT: http://www.mono-project.com/Other_Downloads

According to that page the version # is > 2; does that correspond to the SL version also? I enabled the badgerports repo and it installed 1.9xx...
    Last edited by davidryder; March 9th, 2009 at 10:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by davidryder View Post
    Ahhh! Thanks for the reply Hopefully SL2 comes to Moonlight soon...
    http://www.mono-project.com/Roadmap#Upcoming_Releases

September for beta support for SL2

Which means a big fat MAYBE for Karmic - depending on how much love I get from the release managers
    Last edited by directhex; March 9th, 2009 at 10:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks for the info

Do you think MS/Netflix is concerned about this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by davidryder View Post
    Thanks for the info

Do you think MS/Netflix is concerned about this?
    Define "concerned".

Microsoft want to push as many people onto Silverlight as possible, as it allows them to sell Windows Server for hosting, Expression for design, and Media Server for encoding tasks.

To achieve this, and to have ANY hope of supplanting Flash as the "rich media" framework of choice, they need to target as many systems as possible - and in the netbook age, that means they can't ignore non-Windows platforms. Even when it literally costs them money.

They've been actively helping Novell to achieve feature parity - supplying all the official test cases, answering any technical queries, and so on - but the important (symbolic) step is the codec thing.

Codecs, by and large, are covered by big nasty patents held by big nasty men. That's why most distributions don't, say, support MP3 playback out of the box ($0.75 per decoder app license fee on the codec, if you're being legit). Ever noticed the box in Totem to buy codecs? See http://www.fluendo.com/shop/category/end-user-products/ or http://shop.canonical.com/product_in...roducts_id=242 for an idea of what "licensed" codecs cost.

When Moonlight encounters some media it can't play, it'll offer to download some licensed codecs (codecs offering the same support as the Canonical link above), free of charge. Those codecs aren't free for the distributor (patents are held by many people, so many people need to get paid), so every person downloading those codecs via Moonlight is getting something free of charge which (in a world of patent licensing) has value. And the people paying those fees are Microsoft.

Microsoft are literally paying people to use Moonlight in a "legit" manner.

So are they "concerned"? I'd say so - they're concerned about proving how cross-platform Silverlight is, and how every content creator should buy lots of expensive Microsoft products to produce SL content. Netflix will be a headline item to show off, the way the Obama inauguration streams were for Moon's SL1 support

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I talked to a phone rep at Netflix who said, off the record, that they will probably switch to something Linux compatible soon. It's been an issue. Is there any way to campaign for this? I think it would be a good idea if everyone using Linux called Netflix customer support and asked for Linux and Firefox support for their streaming video. The phone number for Netflix customer support is 1-866-402-2616. There is no email or web support. I could not find a mailing address. Can somebody post one? Are there other ways of letting people at netflix know that we care? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

directhex, thanks for all the information... very informative!

David, aside from calling and shouting on the internet I can't really think of anything useful. The more we talk about it the more our voices will be heard

Unfortunately things happen very slowly in the corporate world. "Soon" for them could very well be a year from now. Hopefully Moonlight supports SL2 within 6 months. If however Netflix switches to something more compatible I will be one happy camper

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'd be concerned, actually, if they switch away from SL.

Much as it's still a few months away from working, SL means support on (say) super-cheap MID devices or ARM-based netbooks, and Flash support means x86 (and beta x86-64) support only

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    http://www.mono-project.com/Roadmap#Upcoming_Releases

September for beta support for SL2

Which means a big fat MAYBE for Karmic - depending on how much love I get from the release managers
    According to the Moonlight Roadmap, there should be beta support for SL2 in mid-May.

http://www.mono-project.com/MoonlightRoadmap

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast