Thread: Backlight on MBPro only 5 settings, high pitched sound, changes randomly

Beans

Backlight on MBPro only 5 settings, high pitched sound, changes randomly

The backlight on my MBPro 4,1 with 8.10 only goes about a quarter of the way on the bar, makes a high pitched sound when up high, and will dim sporadically. Anyone know how to fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Backlight on MBPro only 5 settings, high pitched sound, changes randomly

are you using the documentation for your mac?
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSuppor...unityHelpPages

Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

The dimming is supposed to occur after a certain period of time to conserve battery power. It should, however, go back to normal if you try to use the mouse / keyboard again.

Beans

I had this problem when I first installed Hardy. Ubuntu uses a light sensor (the same it uses for your keyboard, I suspect) in the MBP to adjust screen brightness, and in Hardy it would adjust the brightness until the screen was black. Intrepid is much better about that.

If it bugs you, go into gconf-editor

apps > gnome-power-manager > backlight >

There are three checkboxes, I think. Just look for the one which dims the backlight.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by everfine View Post
    The backlight on my MBPro 4,1 with 8.10 only goes about a quarter of the way on the bar, makes a high pitched sound when up high, and will dim sporadically. Anyone know how to fix?
    are you referring to the display backlight? then there should be more than 4 or 5 steps available. what does the following command output?

Code:
    lshal -u `hal-find-by-capability --capability laptop_panel`
    ciao,
    Mario