Thread: Dead Login

Beans

Dead Login

I installed Ubuntu unto an ACER 1650 machine a week ago or so. It worked fine until now, I had compiz installed since its onset and, again I say this, it worked absolutely fine, and after I had to resign for the night, I put the computer into sleep mode (for the first time, usually I just turn it off every time). Now, when I attempt to open it, it will not load. It loads up fine until the login screen after which I type my username and password and am able to login. But I get a black screen followed by a few error messages.

This ballon pops out in the down-right corner of the screen:

"Install Problem!

The configuration defaults for GNOME Power Manager have not been installed correctly. Please contact your computer administrator"

Along with these errors in the middle:

"An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for update-notifier. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly."

And,

"An error occurred while loading or saving configuration information for evolution-alarm-notify. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Dead Login

Exactly the same problem here. I freshly installed Ubuntu 9.10 a couple of days ago on my Dell 9400 and now it gives this error on login. Also, the login screen changed to a simpler look...
    -= Fight, Win, Prevail =-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Dead Login

Yikes!!

I'm having this same problem and I see that nobody has responded since March! I will have to post my own screech!

In my case, it happened after a system crash and fsck "fixed" a lot of items.
    -- Rasputin Paskudniak II (In pursuit of undomesticated, semi-aquatic avians)