Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NIV in gnomesword

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

NIV in gnomesword

Is there any copy of the NIV Bible that you can buy or download (such as the one from biblegateway.com) and then integrate it with gnomesword. I am also interested in the New King James version.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: NIV in gnomesword

Quote Originally Posted by cneil View Post
    Is there any copy of the NIV Bible that you can buy or download (such as the one from biblegateway.com) and then integrate it with gnomesword. I am also interested in the New King James version.
    No, they are not available. AFAIK

However, here is a link that I just found.
    http://www.cs.cmu.edu/People/karl/sword/

At the bottom of the page you will see some info and another link about creating your won sword modules using Bible texts downloaded from Biblegateway.com. This is for "personal use" only of course.

Hope that helps. Keep us posted if you try it out.

God Bless, Jereme

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

The NIV and New King James are copyrighted, You have to pay Zondervan for the right to use them. They are not available for free anywhere that I am aware of. The KJB has what is known as the Kings Copyright which would be the original version of FOSS. NIV and almost all other versions are Proprietory. Think Microsoft.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The link mhancoc7 you posted is already dead.

Does anyone have a cached copy?

It is hard to believe that it would be illegal to download and view content that is already available online in a non-web browser program. Downloading web content, creating a cached copy, and indexing it on your local hard drive should not be illegal. Isn't that all that creating these modules would do?

I'm sure it would be possible to write some kind of script for this anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!

It is hard to believe that it would be illegal to download and view content that is already available online in a non-web browser program. Downloading web content, creating a cached copy, and indexing it on your local hard drive should not be illegal. Isn't that all that creating these modules would do?

Hi, I just tried the link again and it seems to working again.
    Jereme

Beans
    Hidden!

I am also interested in the New King James version.
    The AKJV is very similar to the NKJV.

AKJV

Beans

I like the NIV as well, but since it is copywrited, I use WEB (Word English Bible) for sword. There are also WEB MP3's on the web that are free to use. Although I have never looked at it, I have also heard that the American Standard version is also very readable and free.

Beans

I wonder if the e-sword bible downloads can be massaged and installed somehow. They have ESV, ASV and very cheap versions of the Holman and several other good ones for cheap.

Better yet, has anyone gotten e-sword to work with Wine on Linux?

B.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu CE

Shane2peru has a thread about E-Sword in Wine here, so you could check that and see how well it works.

I think buying and changing e-sword Bibles to work in GnomeSword (or anything other than E-sword) might be somewhat illegal, because they are written for that program and probably copyrighted, so changing the code might not be allowed.

Beans

It is illegal to distribute the NIV without permission from Zondervan. I believe having the content cached from some site like biblegateway is fine, but you couldn't send that cache to a friend, for instance. The Sword modules are a bit more then just cached content. They have a specific format (open sourced format) but are fairly easy to do. Again, the problem is distribution.

-LaserJock
    "That's all very well in practice, but will it ever work in theory?" -- G. Hill
    "A tidy laboratory means a lazy chemist." -- Jöns Jacob Berzelius

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast