Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to change Computer name

Beans

Re: How to change Computer name

hi guys,

I changed the computer name based on the descriptions but when I try to see the ubuntu machine from vista I see 2 which are:

owner-desktop -- which was the previous
    jiraya-desktop -- new one

then switched it back to owner-desktop & when I go to the vista machine both are still there. the owner desktop is not accessible & the jiraya one is.... would you guys know why it is like that?

I'm trying to share a printer on ubuntu & access it from vista -- another thing when i access the jiraya-desktop I see a printers folder but the printer connected to ubuntu is not there.... I checked ubuntu & it says it is shared which was by default....

any help will be appreciated....

thanks!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The old name is probably still in the dns server. Have you selected to publish the shared printer?

System > Administration > Printing > Server > Settings > Publish Shared Printers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by patchwork View Post
    The old name is probably still in the dns server. Have you selected to publish the shared printer?

System > Administration > Printing > Server > Settings > Publish Shared Printers
    Hi again,

ok I checked & the hostname file was still set to jiraya & the hosts was owner -- I got that fixed now... & for some reason the vista machine kept some computer names on the network even after they were shut off.... so that was just a vista bug....

I did publish the printer but the vista machine still wouldn't see it....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It will take a few minutes for the DNS to catch up. You also may need to disable the firewall temporarily (or configure iptables for a more permanent solution).

Code:
    sudo ufw disable
    This is a process I need to go through whenever I (rarely) access my shared printer...too lazy to change the routing permissions.

To re-enable the firewall,

Code:
     sudo ufw enable

Beans

It will take a few minutes for the DNS to catch up. You also may need to disable the firewall temporarily (or configure iptables for a more permanent solution).

Code:
    sudo ufw disable
    This is a process I need to go through whenever I (rarely) access my shared printer...too lazy to change the routing permissions.

To re-enable the firewall,

Code:
     sudo ufw enable
    ok, thanks....

I'll try that -- so when you mean the dns do you mean the switch/router? because I checked another vista machine & it still has the old names on the network which are not accessible because they no longer exist & also my friends laptop which he shut down & took with him & is no longer on the LAN.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

One of the computers (probably the VISTA) is acting as the networks Dynamic Name Server. It periodically checks to see what computers are hooked up to it and fetches their information. You can probably refresh network on whichever computer is acting as the DNS to remove the computer names that are no longer hooked up.

I have NO experience with Vista, no windows experience post-XP, and limited networking experience in general, so take this with a grain of salt.

Beans

One of the computers (probably the VISTA) is acting as the networks Dynamic Name Server. It periodically checks to see what computers are hooked up to it and fetches their information. You can probably refresh network on whichever computer is acting as the DNS to remove the computer names that are no longer hooked up.

I have NO experience with Vista, no windows experience post-XP, and limited networking experience in general, so take this with a grain of salt.
    I disabled the firewall but still nothing......

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

another thing when i access the jiraya-desktop I see a printers folder but the printer connected to ubuntu is not there.... I checked ubuntu & it says it is shared which was by default....
    Just a clarification, this folder ( I believe it is the $printer folder) is not where your printer will show up. This is a folder provided by the system by default to allow you to place printer drivers in it for accessing machines to download. When the printer is shared and published, the printer should appear in the accessing machine's printer setup screen (again, I'm not familiar with vista). Also, it may be worth creating a new thread for this since it has drifted from the hostname conversation...you may get more input.

Beans

Just a clarification, this folder ( I believe it is the $printer folder) is not where your printer will show up. This is a folder provided by the system by default to allow you to place printer drivers in it for accessing machines to download. When the printer is shared and published, the printer should appear in the accessing machine's printer setup screen (again, I'm not familiar with vista). Also, it may be worth creating a new thread for this since it has drifted from the hostname conversation...you may get more input.
    ya i was gonna ask about taking this subject to another thread before since like you said its a different issue.... I'll look into it find the right thread, thanks tho......

Beans

There is an easier, safer and faster way to do this at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...92#post8955992

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123