Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: List the name of women using Ubuntu

Beans

Re: List the name of women using Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mobilediesel View Post
    Since elizabeth already said it better than I could:

Can you list my friend for that? She is Catherine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by occams_beard View Post
    Why not an Ubuntu group for black people, gay people, red haired people, left handed people, etc?

I think the Ubuntu Women project only serves to divide, as illustrated by this and other threads. Why do we need to bring gender politics or other types of group think into everything? One of the things I love about the Ubuntu community is that it is -mostly- apolitical (With the exception of the Ubuntu women project that is)

What does it matter, really, who uses ubuntu? If a woman wants to use Ubuntu, then good. If not, then that is her choice. What's the big deal... sheesh.
    I think you miss the point, occams_beard. We exist to encourage women to not only use Ubuntu, but to become part of the community. That is important because it makes for a better community. More black people would be good too, don't you agree? Also more gay people. And red-heads, and south-paws.

Why? Because the more diverse a community is, the stronger it is. Just like the rest of nature, that's how human culture works.

If a woman chooses not to use Ubuntu, we're certainly not trying to take away her freedom of choice. On the contrary, we are offering more choice to a larger variety of people. We think that's good and valuable work. If you don't, then you don't need to help us. In my opinion, that will be your loss.

Valorie, who uses Kubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by occams_beard View Post
    Why not an Ubuntu group for black people, gay people, red haired people, left handed people, etc?
    hmmmm... Hey! I am also left-handed. However - straight and brown haired. Maybe we can open a subgroup?...

All browned-haired-left-handed-femail-ubuntu-users - unite!

Just kidding....

Beans

I'm ocacies and I'm a female Ubuntu user.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mobilediesel View Post
    Since elizabeth already said it better than I could:
    I like what elizabeth said. But I think that you can say better than her.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Just adding my name to the list. I've been using Ubuntu for a little more than a month (since a day or two before I made my account here). I decided to install it on my new computer when it arrived because I've had bad experiences with malware on Windows. So I figured the less I use Windows the less I expose myself to that kind of stuff. It's been a learning experience (I think I've learned as much in one month of Ubuntu as I had in the last six months of Windows and OSX) and there are bumps, but generally it works nicely and that's what matters. And I do enjoy the challenges. Especially when I defeat them!

Also I think that everyone should have a hobby that makes other people's eyes cross. With this I added one more to my list.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

me! been a user since 2004. love it!

It's nice to know there are more females out there who are involved in the linux/ubunu community.

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    Well spoken Elizabeth. The problem is not with gender... not with majority or minority status... it is simply with attitudes expressed. Young kids take cues from society and if society as a whole ridicules women for using technology (or going deeper) they will shy away from it... just as men shy away from being nurses due to ridicule of male nurses.

In this I think we find the key to Ubuntu Women -- not to promote women over men... but to simply show females, especially girls, that using and being interested in technology is acceptable and has value. To given them a safe haven from potential ridicule... to give them role models to look up too.
    EXACTLY!
    Last edited by 1ceblu3; October 10th, 2010 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Courtney

I've been using Ubuntu since 2007.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am glad to be noticing more and more women related to Linux gatherings and online and forums. Be even better when the numbers are such that "List the name of women using Ubuntu" has the same impact as "List the name of men using Ubuntu"... none!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans

Hi there,

I'm Tini from Germany and I'm using Linux since 1998 but only sporadically. Since 2000 more often and now I'm using Linux only @home. I installed Ubuntu 10.04 as main system on my PC and on my eee 701 I installed crunchbang based on debian testing. And I own a Dingoo with Dingux on it (also linux).

My mother (obviously also a women) is using ubuntu 10.04.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast