Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When Did You Switch To Linux And For What Reason

Beans

When Did You Switch To Linux And For What Reason

Just thought I'd post to this to see if many others switched to Linux because of XP and not Vista.

I really can't understand what's with all this hate towards Vista. I switched to Slackware 8 or so years ago (It took me a while to get used to it as well as I was only 11). I got XP on the week it was released and it was nothing but incompatibilities, BSODs and crashes.

So I switched back to Windows 98SE. But at the same time I researched into alternatives and come across Mandrake, but at the time this would have taken too long to download. I got a copy of Slackware from a magazine not long after so I installed it and followed the guide in the magazine which took me ages to get working properly and getting dial up working was difficult but I did it and it was nice to be in something completely different. No Crashes either cool.

I used Windows 98 for games and Slackware for Internet/Email (Netscape). I skipped Windows XP until 2006 and I slipstreamed it with SP2 to play San Andreas (lol). It was much better than before but it still wasn't great I still got little problems like for some reason IE Would keep resetting my homepage. In this space of time I had installed XP multiple times for other people as well which usually worked good on their systems.

Even after I'd set up XP to my liking and got it going I found it was incredibly slow at doing things that Slackware did instantly. But at this time my copy of Slackware was very old and I hadn't ever updated anything on it apart from Netscape. I visited the Slackware website and found that the newer version was a lot of discs or a DVD and with 1Mb/s Broadband that would have taken ages.

I visited PC World and bought a copy of SuSE Personal 9.1 which was an incredibly polished and worked great until the Updates stopped being supported, I really liked SuSE 9.1 and it was my favourite version of SuSE. (10.3 Was good too)

So I used that for a while before switching to Kubuntu 6.06 which was the best out of the box distro I had used. Very fast too. I used this for about a year when I was offered to upgrade to 6.10 which was crap, but also by that time Feisty was out so I tried that and it had a bug in the Kernel which would cause the Hard drives to not park properly on shut down so I'm not going to use that. Thats when I switched from Kubuntu to OpenSuSE 10.3 Which I used until last year when I finally went back to Slackware and started using Fedora/CentOS. I will probably continue to use these for years to come.

I also purchased Vista for games and It's been nothing but smooth sailing which is more than I can say about XP ever being on my computers. It just runs and it's quite fast too.

Beans

Re: When Did You Switch To Linux And For What Reason

I switched from XP too, i have never had vista.

I had problems with getting bsod's when i in Maplestory walked into a sort of big screens that was set up in every city. After reboot i would be spawning at the same place i logged out earlier: the screen which caused me a bsod.
    I researched a lot, checked google, contacted their customer support (which didn't help me) contacted my brother over the phone and i learned what the BIOS is but still no fix for the problem.
    I got him get over here and we tried different things, we started talking and we somehow came into chatting about linux. I thought it sounded cool and wanted to try it. Since then i have been stuck! That was in october/november last year.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Expressing 'hate' towards MS/Vista whatever is probably an anthropological thing (Desmond Morris would be the best bet for a real answer to this side of human behaviour). For those of us, like yourself, who make a choice (sometimes out of curiosity) of something different the basic answer to why we take sides is contained in your own post:

I switched to Slackware 8 or so years ago (It took me a while to get used to it as well as I was only 11). I got XP on the week it was released and it was nothing but incompatibilities, BSODs and crashes.

So I switched back to Windows 98SE. But at the same time I researched into alternatives and come across Mandrake, but at the time this would have taken too long to download. I got a copy of Slackware from a magazine not long after so I installed it and followed the guide in the magazine which took me ages to get working properly and getting dial up working was difficult but I did it and it was nice to be in something completely different. No Crashes either cool.
    You got used to Linux.. you feel in control of it, something you perhaps are unable to feel with XP etc. People who are comfortable with XP but have no desire to learn will camp on the MS side, some , who try and fail with Linux, will probably scoff at it (see Desmond Morris).
    Personally, it was a desire to have access programs without paying through the nose every time something changed without resorting to 'pirate' copies.
    (I have a legal copy of Office, but it will not run on XP:I would have needed to pay a significant sum to upgrade it which was uneconomical for a home user. So I switched to OpenOffice... My home built new (5 years ago) computer needed an OS so I decided on Linux and not XP to save me £80+ and have access to much free (legally) software. Never looked back.. have a new laptop. Dual boot with Vista, left Vista there because I have paid for it and may have a need to investigate it sometime to help someone out. But my first impressions were not great, because I AM NOT USED TO IT and have no real NEED for it. I am, therefore, not qualified to open my mouth and 'diss' it.
    I shall remain comfortable , for the time being, overcoming the odd problems with my Linux install, because there is, once you have experienced installing an OS, a new found confidence that if you break it, you CAN fix it without shelling out cash to a third party.. I have created the Vista back up disks, I still have the 'hidden' restore partition, but I am reluctant to test their efficacy based on previous MS experience

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

my laptop had vista home basic or something like that on it when i bought it two years ago... but it was one of the ones that was vista capable... so it had like 512 mb o ram... so i bought another gig..and then downloaded ubuntu... it didnt even boot into vista before the live cd was ran. LOL

so i switched because of physical system requirements.
    also... as a fellows sig here says... vista is like a gas.. it expands to fit the container its in. which is totally true..

anyway..smooth sailing ever since.

tusken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i quit because of windows xp. i cant remember if it is four or five years ago.
    i bought a computer secondhand with no operative system and i got a pretty expensive soundcard for it so i could make music. i got usb drummachines and keyboards and roland cakewalk and cubase and then windows xp. at the time i wanted to install it i noticed that everytime i plugged into the internet and recieved updates i got something that reminded me of virus. i got tired of it and started using linux and wuit using my pc for music. i found later a distro for audio production and it beats the windows setup in any way for my purpose so i was happy with that.

one day reading in the library i found a newspaper clip from two month after i had taken the xp cd into the trash can where a security company had found that ther ewas a virus /trojan in the xp updates right at the time i installed it and i must have been one of the first to report it as virus attacks.

the company stated that there was no way it could have been a craking of the updates done with out insider acces and informations and it looked as they flat out told us consumers that mikrosoft wrote the virus and send it out them self.

i read more about mikrosoft and virus later on the interenet and found they done it before with a worm designed to attack pirated word programs. so i never go back to windows and i will never trust them again.

in my case it was mikrosoft need to control and the annoying windows xp with its long serial numbers for online registration and lots of bugs and a virus in the updates that made me switch for good.
    please buy this online only compilation to support victims of japan. http://www.punk4japan.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

i have used almost any windows os there is yet all of them had the same problem that i think everyone has noticed : they are too slow even with the best hardware there is out there. on top of that, it is ethically better to use linux, as most distros are free (in both senses).

yet even if i cannot say i log in windows more than once every three or four months, when i do i feel a little dissapointed seeing how superior their communication software is. this is no reason for one to go back of course. Hell has a nice video call system, it doesn't mean that i am going to sell my soul to get it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I went Linux because I had Vista on my laptop, and all of a sudden, all my networking just died. No wireless, no ethernet cable, NOTHING would connect me to the internet.

Ever since I got Ubuntu, my networking is back working again, and I love it!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I left windows in November '06 becuase I lost a lot of stuff to a particularly nasty virus and I thought stuff it and tried Ubuntu 6.10, liked it and never looked back. I have bought a new desktop and laptop since then, both came with Vista and both never got booted from vista, just installed Ubuntu on their first starts. There are 4 PCs in my house and the all run Ubuntu. I will never bother with windows again.

Beans

i had this vista laptop for 2 years after which it was super slow. i then decided to give ubuntu a try throught wubi and liked it so gave it a full install dualbooting with windows. i reinstalled vista which seemed super fast until i installed the videocard driver which seemed to slow it down significantly. after 2 weeks vista would bsod upon startup every single time. i then decided i was gonna go full ubuntu but while i was at it i installed the windows 7 beta over vista so when that runs out i'm done with windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

10 years ago, I knew how to make Windows 98 do all manners of things but it never really felt fun. Linux was fun, it was a chance to learn new things and instead of shelling out for a new license every 2 years I got it for free.

I just wanted a new challenge, the more I learned about Free Software the more it felt like the right thing.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast