Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SVG Image Viewer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

SVG Image Viewer?

Is there a good (simple/fast) program that can view SVG files correctly? I know most image viewing programs can open them, but the ones I've tried so far (Gnome's Image Viewer, GQview, F-Spot) all seem to render them to bitmaps (rasterize?) when they are opened, and then they don't zoom correctly (they get real blurry).

Beans

Re: SVG Image Viewer?

Inkview I think it is part of the inkscape package may fit your needs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

You can also try Xara Xtreme http://www.xaraxtreme.org/
    “Give a man a fish and you have fed him for today; teach a man to fish and you have fed him for a lifetime” —unknown

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wow, nice quick answers. Both are better than what i found googling for over an hour.

Inkview - I had Inkscape, but I didn't know about this little program. It seems pretty nice except that it can't really do anything except display the image as it is. As far as I can tell there is no zoom ability (aside from the full-screen view).

Xara - Seems nice, but it seems to have trouble with text. Also it's a full blown editor, I was wondering if there is something more lightweight, like just a viewer.

Thanks for the ideas though, keep them coming

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz View Post
    You can also try Xara Xtreme http://www.xaraxtreme.org/
    Xara doesn't do SVGs well. I would not recommend it if you need SVGs.

There will be no "real" svg viewer that will do all you need. What you need to do is save your svg as a "plain svg" within Inkscape, then it can be viewed correctly by the many image viewers. The problem is that Inkscape has some inkscape-only features which won't be rendered correctly unless you have a inkscape-compatible viewer (ie, inkview). By saving it as a plain SVG (not an inkscape SVG) you are getting rid of those inkscape-only features, and thus are able to view it in other viewers correctly.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

firefox?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bölvağur View Post
    firefox?
    It has some problems rendering stuff like text. Only way to fix it is to convert the text to paths, which makes the text no longer able to be edited.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    Xara doesn't do SVGs well. I would not recommend it if you need SVGs.

There will be no "real" svg viewer that will do all you need. What you need to do is save your svg as a "plain svg" within Inkscape, then it can be viewed correctly by the many image viewers. The problem is that Inkscape has some inkscape-only features which won't be rendered correctly unless you have a inkscape-compatible viewer (ie, inkview). By saving it as a plain SVG (not an inkscape SVG) you are getting rid of those inkscape-only features, and thus are able to view it in other viewers correctly.

It's not that the image viewers are displaying the svg files incorrectly, it is that they are scaling (zooming) them incorrectly. It's the same with any svg, not inkscape, and it's my guess that all the image viewers I've tried work the same: they open the svg file and render it to a raster image. All the zooming is done on this raster image.

The problem is that zooming a raster image makes it blurry, whereas a vector image (svg) should be able to scale to arbitrary sizes without being blurry. So the problem is likely one of implementation for the programs I've tried. It took me a while to find some examples of it being done the 'correct' way in Python, but I found this:
    http://cairographics.org/cookbook/

And I wrote a little python script that demonstrates what I'm talking about.

You just run it as: svg_compare.py <filename>
    and it opens up an svg and displays it using an svg library and using gtk's raster library. You can zoom with the mouse wheel or -/+ keys and drag the image around. You can also press 'I' to cycle through the interpolation methods for raster zoooming. If you zoom in enough you can see there is quite a difference.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

in case someone still needs a similar program - xsvg (from http://cairographics.org) can do the job

Beans

--

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast