View Poll Results: Age of notebook in years, living or when it died?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll

5 5.75%

18 20.69%

14 16.09%

20 22.99%

8 9.20%

6 6.90%

7 8.05%

6 6.90%

3 3.45%

13 14.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How old, or how long have the notebooks you know of lasted?

Beans

Re: How old, or how long have the notebooks you know of lasted?

It may be helpful if people say what make & model the notebook is?

Beans

Toshiba Portege M100 From around 2003-2004. Work perfectly with Ubuntu 8.04. 8.10 doesn't have support for Toshiba laptop because the X.org and kernel have some conflict. Will try 9.04. (Boot faster than my desktop too)

But anyway, In term of Laptop, this is nothing to do with Brand, it is more like Models. "Top of its age" usually last longer, because they are finish under better quality. Yes, they are expensive at their time, but after 2 to 3 years, they worth nothing.

IBM seem like a good Brand for Laptop, up until T42 maybe T43. After that, they aren't not as quality as they were.

Toshiba seem like a ****** brand for computer, but for some reason, their laptop do last long.

Some of the Sony are good too (not all), however, not as Linux friendly, simply because they are too "unique".

Panasonic is good, but they don't make many laptop, it seem not worth it to get them too at this time.

Apple makes good laptop too

DO NOT get another other brand, They all suck, And they are getting worst. Getting a Laptop should be thinking about quality over ability. Computer getting out of date really fast, so it is pointless to shooting for fancy feature such as touch control, Bio reader, and all of those things. Not just they doesn't do much, they add the rick of breaking things as well. Avoid "Shiny" things if you want your laptop last.

It is too sad, that company now are making laptop for sell, not for use. They all have pretty looking shell that only last a very short period of time. Not just that, the config is non-sense. Such as putting Vista in a 1GB Ram laptop. Which only give you about 256MB of ram to run your software, which is what actually useful. OR putting 4GB of Ram, with 32Bit System. Taking resource for useless stuff.

It is indeed super hard to find a good laptop these days. I try to reply my 5 years old laptop, but yet, can't find anything, that is as well as balance as my old one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sony VAIO (Forget the model name) is on it's fourth year right now. The battery has died. I'm not sure weather I can put the blame on Linux or not. Either way it's still working fine to this day, apart from the dead battery ofcourse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I had a Toshiba Satellite with a P-133 that I bought in 1998 and gave away to a friend a few years ago and it is still in use today. I used to work on ships, Toshiba had the ONLY laptops that could deal with the vibration and g forces of a pitching and rolling and vibrating ship, nothing else ever lasted more than 3 months. Toshibas lasted years.

In the early 90s Toshiba got out of the laptop market but, due to over 1million letters from customers, they got back in a year later.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markbuntu View Post
    In the early 90s Toshiba got out of the laptop market but, due to over 1million letters from customers, they got back in a year later.
    I find it so interesting that so many people think that writing letters that express their views/desires on a subject, or to signing petitions that do the same thing is a waste of time.

So, often it is public outcry in these forms that cause (usually positive) changes to be made.

We are battling mining interests in our town, & getting people to understand that writing letters to the political representatives is the most powerful thing they can do is a tough job.

Anyway, I'll get off that, & stop diverting the thread.

Beans

Model: Toshiba Satellite M55
    Year: 2005
    Month: Febuary

*Specs:
    *--Graphics Card: Intel GMA i810 integrated GPU
    *--Processor: Intel Centrino Processor
    *--BIOS: PheonixBIOS
    *--Screen Dimensions: 1280x1024 px
    *--Sound Card: SRS TruSurroundXT
    *--Wireless Card: Intel ipw2200 w/ togglable on/off switch
    *--USB 2.0 Ports: 4
    *--RAM: 512MB
    *--LAN Ports: 1
    *--Phone Cable Ports: 1
    *--Keyboard: QWERTY

Life: 4 years, and still kickin'!

Beans

approx 10-12 years old Toshiba protege' I bought it used. I forget exact model and I'm not going to the garage to find out

pentium 1 150 mhz
    16 meg ram

Still kicking running duel boot win98 and Debian 2.0 something. Added a 20 gig HD to it in 2001. I use it for playing music in the garage.

Also 2 toshiba satelite l-40's, 3 years old

Hp Pavillion died after 1 1/2 years

Acer aspire 5100 two years old.

New Toshiba satelite

IMHO Toshiba has the best lasting laptops. YMMV

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My current computer is my first and I've had it for 2 years. It's a Gateway.
    And then, all of a sudden, nothing happened!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456