Thread: Filesystem for external disk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Filesystem for external disk

Hi all,

Earlier I was backing up a 5.4 GB tar archive on my external hard disk formatted as fat32. At 4.0 GB the transfer suddenly terminated. Thinking it was a random bug I tried doing it again. Same result.

After I did a little googling I came up with a wikipedia page with the information on the maximum file size of filesystems... the maximum on fat32 is of course 4.0 GB (duh!).

Anyway, my question is:

What is the best filesystem to format my external hard disk to if I want to store large files and maintain Windows compatibility?

I am aware there is NTFS but I am always wary of Windows junk that does not have full Linux support. Are there any alternative filesystems?

Beans

Re: Filesystem for external disk

NTFS is your best bet but if you want to format it to ext2/ext3, then you need to install fs-driver in windows so windows can read that harddrive.

http://www.fs-driver.org/
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans
    Distro

I think it is got to be NTFS (). I won't necessarily be able to install drivers on the Windows machines I want to use the external hard disk with.

Anyway, thanks for the links on ext drivers. I will definitely install those on my Windows machine.

Beans

Just remember to use the safely remove hardware option in windows to unmount the drive before you unplug it.
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans

Your most reliable option is NTFS. Don't worry NTFS is supported through ntfs-3g and works great out of the box in most distros.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks

Thanks everyone...

Now I just have to transfer 36 GB off the drive then back on again.