Thread: Update manager fails??

Beans

Exclamation Update manager fails??

Hi!
    Recently my friend introduced me with Ubuntu and I wanted to try for myself. I wanted a dual boot so cleared space of my HDD of my laptop.
    My Dvd/cd drive doesn't really work anymore (ticking sound when a cd-rom is read) So I decided to do a installation from a USBstick, which I made via my friends laptop, which runs Ubuntu.

The installation went fine and soon I had Kernel 2.6.27-7 on my system. After the first boot there are 262 updates which have to be installed. This takes a while. At 2/3 of the installed updates it suddenly restarts the system from grubloader but then this Kernel Panic occurs:

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

So I turn the laptop off and on and see in the Grub loader that there is another kernel aswell: kernel 2.6.7-11

I presume this is the latest one where the updates are being installed so press enter en then the kernel panic occurs again.

Press off and on and try kernel 2.6.7-7. This version works, but on start up there is a message saying: Instal Problem: The configuration defaults for GNOME power manager have not been installed correctly.

What is happening? Can I restore Ubuntu?

specs.
    Fujitsu Siemens Amilo laptop
    1.60ghz Celeron
    512mb RAM.
    80GB HDD, in 3 partitions, on one is windowsXP, on the other some programs and the 3th and largest (42GB) was reserved for Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Update manager fails??

If you see Grub; boot into Recovery Mode and do:
    Code:
    dpkg --configure -a
    apt-get -f install
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    One at the time

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans

THnx I did not quite follow your advice, but I think it worked out. I went into recovery mode of the old kernel and did dpkg repair broken packages. It installed many more updates and after that the newer kernel 2.6.7-11 worked again. The only thing is that the old kernel is still in the GrubLoader. Can this be removed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst. Backup first:
    Code:
    sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.old
    Edit:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    You can now remove the old kernel from the list. I'd keep at least 2 kernels. You never know when you will need the other to boot.

Dr. Fernando Duran Dollenz
    Libertad 584

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by quirijnquintus View Post
    Hi!

Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

I always get that error when trying to compile a kernel under 700K. Drives me insane.