Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cleaning a install

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    10

    Cleaning a install

    Is there a way to clean all the unused stuff from a install?

    its just in windows all programs go into program files, but in linux they kinda get spread... around... places. so when i uninstall something it leaves its dependencies all around.. places.

    Do i need to clean these out of the install somehow?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

    Re: Cleaning a install

    You do not need to clean Linux in the same way as you would Windows. Presuming you are new you are probably best forgetting any type of cleaning for now.

    You can look at these links if you wish :

    http://www.ubuntugeek.com/cleaning-u...in-ubuntu.html

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?&t=140920

    http://ubuntu-tutorials.blogspot.com...ux-system.html

    In terms of removing unneeded applications, use synaptic or apt-get, but to be honest you are best off performing a minimal install and adding only what you want rather then removing things.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

    #ubuntuforums web interface

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Beans
    11,480
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Cleaning a install

    Actually, uninstallers on Windows leave all sorts of loose files and dependencies all over the place too. Or worse, they can delete files that other programs still depend on. Yuck.

    In Linux, you can remove the "orphaned" dependencies - just run the command:

    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    From the apt-get manpage:

    autoremove is used to remove packages that were automatically installed to satisfy dependencies for some package and that are no more needed.
    Not exactly good English, but the command does exactly what you want.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    10

    Re: Cleaning a install

    whats about when i install stuff from source, the decide i dont want it

    the package manager wont pick up on those files will it?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    City of Pines
    Beans
    3,585

    Re: Cleaning a install

    Quote Originally Posted by fungihead View Post
    whats about when i install stuff from source, the decide i dont want it

    the package manager wont pick up on those files will it?
    No, Synaptics will not be able to uninstall applications installed from manual compilation. You are to uninstall it using uninstall scripts w/c comes with the package.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Beans
    141
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: Cleaning a install

    Quote Originally Posted by iaculallad View Post
    No, Synaptics will not be able to uninstall applications installed from manual compilation. You are to uninstall it using uninstall scripts w/c comes with the package.
    Actually, I'm wondering, if you install from source using 'checkinstall' instead of 'make install', will removing it from Synaptic do the trick? I'm not sure myself, but maybe someone more experienced can shed some light on this.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Beans
    10

    Re: Cleaning a install

    also just curious, why is there no sort of "click on a file, install the software" type thing, like a exe installer

    if the software i want isnt in a repo then i have a load of trouble finding it, and then more trying to install it

    and if it doesnt follow the ./configure, make, make install, make clean way of installing im pretty much stumped

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    4newOtherOSTalk4umCsig
    Beans
    555

    Re: Cleaning a install

    Quote Originally Posted by fungihead View Post
    also just curious, why is there no sort of "click on a file, install the software" type thing, like a exe installer

    if the software i want isnt in a repo then i have a load of trouble finding it, and then more trying to install it

    and if it doesnt follow the ./configure, make, make install, make clean way of installing im pretty much stumped
    There exists just such a thing for linux. For Ubuntu look for precompiled Debian packages (*.deb).

    For example: If you wanted to install Opera 10 Alpha2 on 64bit Ubuntu you'd download and then click on the .deb file here:

    http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/snaps.../x86_64-linux/
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

    14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    4newOtherOSTalk4umCsig
    Beans
    555

    Re: Cleaning a install

    Quote Originally Posted by InspiredIndividual View Post
    Actually, I'm wondering, if you install from source using 'checkinstall' instead of 'make install', will removing it from Synaptic do the trick? I'm not sure myself, but maybe someone more experienced can shed some light on this.
    Ding ding ding. That is EXACTLY why you should choose checkinstall instead of make install.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

    14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    City of Pines
    Beans
    3,585

    Re: Cleaning a install

    This is what Ubuntu Community say about checkinstall.
    Steady movement is more important than speed, much of the time. So long as there is a regular progression of Stimuli to get your mental hooks into, there is room for lateral movement. Once this begins, its rate is a matter of discretion.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •