Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pirate Bay!! Trial is over... thoughts?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: The Pirate Bay!! Trial is over... thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980
    That's another perfect example of a straw man. The poster never said what he did was ok. He said he would be fine if it doesn't exist, which implied that he doesn't think that what he did was ok. I think he was saying it was wrong for everyone including himself. He surly didn't say what you said he said.
    yes but he did it.

so what, you do something you think is bad and then you moralise to other people about it?

Quote Originally Posted by bannor
    The prosecution notable did not survey the site in any scientific manner. I found that peculiar.
    yeah there is something very wierd about that. the whole case seems to rest on the point that TPB say that they are just a search engine, so surely the prosecution would go after the fact they are a search engine that primarily deals in pirated material. surely the foundation for that type of case is to check the most popular torrents as aysiu did, but the prosecution have never mentioned anything of the sort. something doesn't quite sit right about that.

its not like the prosecution won't have the best lawyers money can afford, they must have a very good reason why they didn't use that in evidence.
    Last edited by simtaalo; March 4th, 2009 at 10:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Symmetry
    In this space which our eyes grace
    A simple way to make alliances between disparate peoples in the human race

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Bannor View Post
    aysiu

I understand your "primary use" argument. If you follow the trial however, almost no statistics were used, the defendant mentioned a random sample in which he found less than 50% of material was copyrighted (I don't believe that for a second). The prosecution notable did not survey the site in any scientific manner. I found that peculiar.
    Yeah, that is odd. Well, the prosecution doesn't really seem to be doing that great a job.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bannor View Post
    aysiu

I understand your "primary use" argument. If you follow the trial however, almost no statistics were used, the defendant mentioned a random sample in which he found less than 50% of material was copyrighted (I don't believe that for a second). The prosecution notable did not survey the site in any scientific manner. I found that peculiar.
    It's not the prosecution, it's the plaintiff this isn't a criminal hearing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by simtaalo View Post
    yes but he did it.

so what, you do something you think is bad and then you moralise to other people about it?

yeah there is something very wierd about that. the whole case seems to rest on the point that TPB say that they are just a search engine, so surely the prosecution would go after the fact they are a search engine that primarily deals in pirated material. surely the foundation for that type of case is to check the most popular torrents as aysiu did, but the prosecution have never mentioned anything of the sort. something doesn't quite sit right about that.
    Yes, people make mistakes, and they learn from them. I was a drug addict when I was a teenager, so is it not ok for me to say that they are wrong now. I still, to this day use tpb, but I know it's wrong, and it should be stopped. I'm not going to sit here, and say it's ok for me to steal, because it's not ok, and I shouldn't do it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    Yes, people make mistakes, and they learn from them. I was a drug addict when I was a teenager, so is it not ok for me to say that they are wrong now. I still, to this day use tpb, but I know it's wrong, and it should be stopped. I'm not going to sit here, and say it's ok for me to steal, because it's not ok, and I shouldn't do it.
    its not black+white, personally speaking there is NOTHING wrong with what that user was doing. torrenting your fave cartoon which is over 20years old is fine, anybody who seriously thinks that is harming the media industry in anyway is mental.

if you live in the U.S now you can watch episodes of south park and other cartoons online legally for free, yet as a user in the u.k i can't access that site. those episodes aren't shown in this country for over a year sometimes longer, so would it be wrong IF i used a torrent site such as TPB to download those episodes?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

It's not the prosecution, it's the plaintiff this isn't a criminal hearing.
    they are looking at a year in jail... although not us law so I can't say
    Stalker's Law : As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving how much the United States sucks approaches one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by simtaalo View Post
    its not black+white, personally speaking there is NOTHING wrong with what that user was doing. torrenting your fave cartoon which is over 20years old is fine, anybody who seriously thinks that is harming the media industry in anyway is mental.

if you live in the U.S now you can watch episodes of south park and other cartoons online legally for free, yet as a user in the u.k i can't access that site. those episodes aren't shown in this country for over a year sometimes longer, so would it be wrong IF i used a torrent site such as TPB to download those episodes?
    US citizens pay for the shows by watching ads. If your in another country say those products, and services may not be available, so you haven't payed to view the content. you may not like this explanation, but this is the way it is.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    But it doesn't matter what most people do. It matters what it is most used for.

[...]

My argument is: if you look at the top torrents, you can see that it is used primarily for illegal downloads.
    I think that goes for torrents in general, and not just for the torrents you find on TPB. I`ll bet more than 50 percent of the torrent bandwidth is used for sharing copyrighted material, and the top torrents are almost exclusively the latest blockbuster movies, and not iso files of the latest Ubuntu.

It is probably true that most users use TPB for illegal purposes. But what if most people use bittorrent in general mostly for illegal purposes? Ban bittorrent? And file sharing in general; ban file sharing completely, regardless of the content? Punish developers of software mostly used for illegal filsharing?

I think TPB will lose the case, but I wonder, what`s next?

Beans
    Distro

US citizens pay for the shows by watching ads. If your in another country say those products, and services may not be available, so you haven't payed to view the content. you may not like this explanation, but this is the way it is.
    that explanation would be ok if those companies weren't giant multinationals with a BIG presence in this country+the rest of the world.

either they get to be multi-national companies and we get the benefits of this, or they shouldn't be allowed to be multi-nationals and i won't complain about being cut off because i'm in the u.k.

you can't have it both ways.

EDIT: [pedanticMode] it's "paid" [/pedanticMode]
    Last edited by simtaalo; March 4th, 2009 at 10:50 PM.

Beans

"The Pirate Bay website was down yesterday after power failures at one of its data centers, but defendant Fredrik Neij brought it back online today from within the court, even as the four lawyers stood one by one to defend the legality of the site."

Hilarious!....I wonder what else he was doing during the trial? Downloading the new U2 album!!

darco
    Reason: no beans

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast