Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nautilus won't restore as default file manager

Beans

Unhappy Nautilus won't restore as default file manager

I recently downloaded kdebase and xfce4 via synaptic so that I could have all of the default apps from both KDE and XFCE (Konqueror, Thunar, etc).

However, after I opened Thunar (or installed XFCE; I don't know which but I opened it right after it was installed), it became my default file manager.

I've searched for various ways of restoring Nautilus, without success. Is there a way to make Nautilus my default file manager without uninstalling Thunar or XFCE (I still want to keep it, but I don't want it as default).

Beans

Re: Nautilus won't restore as default file manager

See this page for instructions on restoring nautilus to the default file manager.

Beans

Erm, I tried that. In fact, that was the first method I tried.

It didn't work. It said "Nautilus is now your default file manager," yet things still opened in Thunar.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi,

You don't mention what distro you are using, so, do you actually have "Nautilus" installed?

Regards, Ellgor.

Beans

[ubuntu] nautilus won't restore as default file manager

EDIT: Although, I'm using 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex), if that's what you meant.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bump

Beans

You could always pop in a cd or mount a removable device. When it asks for the action to be performed chose Open Folder(nautilus). Then go to Places>Computer Right Click on the Removable and from there it will let you chose the default open with command. You might have to click reset in the bottom right hand corner before you chose nautilus as the default action. This should reset all folders to open with nautilus.
    I know this is kinda old just want to help out anyone who comes across this prob.
    Last edited by TDFZ; November 1st, 2009 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Found

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TDFZ View Post
    You could always pop in a cd or mount a removable device. When it asks for the action to be performed chose Open Folder(nautilus). Then go to Places>Computer Right Click on the Removable and from there it will let you chose the default open with command. You might have to click reset in the bottom right hand corner before you chose nautilus as the default action. This should reset all folders to open with nautilus.
    I know this is kinda old just want to help out anyone who comes across this prob.
    I know the subject is quite old but, I wanted to inform that above method works for 9.04, too.
    Instead of mouinting a new device, I right clicked "Filesystem" folder in computer:/// and chose nautilus as the default.
    Thanks for the help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by benerivo View Post
    See this page for instructions on restoring nautilus to the default file manager.
    Thx for this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

run this command its the preferred app changer for xfce set things back to nautilus exo-preferred-applications

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast