Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evolution - Fix corrupt mail folders how-to

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Lightbulb Evolution - Fix corrupt mail folders how-to

After having long lasting problems with my evolution mail folders and searching for solutions in vain, i set out to find a way to fix this myself. I have now fixed three problematic installations with no glitches.

If you get error messages like

Code:
    Emptying Trash Fails with 'Error while expunging folder'
    or
    Code:
    Evolution: Summary and folder mismatch, even after a sync
    or
    Code:
    Evolution: Error while Expunging folder
    or
    Code:
    Evolution: error storing '~/.evolution/mail/local/Inbox (mbox)':
    summary and folder mismatch, even after a sync.
    the following solution will most likely work:

1) Stop evolution.

2) Move folder ~/.evolution/mail to desktop.

3) Start evolution. It will create all standard folders again.

4) Stop evolution.

5) Move only the mailbox files (i.e. "Inbox", not the other files like "Inbox.cmeta" etc) under ~/Desktop/mail/local back to ~/.evolution/mail/local. If you have nested levels of folders, re-create the same folder hierarchy and place the mailbox files accordingly.

6) Run '$ evolution --offline'. Evolution will take some time to re-index and update the data base properly.

7) Restart evolution, and click on the on/off-line button in the lower left corner to get back on-line.

Btw, i use Evolution 2.24.3, but guess that this fix is pretty version independent.

Hope this helps.

PS. If any Evolution developer is reading this: Many postings suggest this is a common problem. Perhaps it would be a good thing to have a "repair" switch that does the above steps in Evolution? DS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Evolution - Fix corrupt mail folders how-to

I have had a similar problem, I got more aggressive as time went by in deleting things (taking a suitable backup of course). What appears to have worked is going in to .evolution/mail/local and deleting everything that was not an actual mail file, all the ev-summary / cmeta / ibex files and the folder.db file.

'man evolution' indicates a force update option on the database. My own email I've been using for only about the last 12 months in evolution (since hardy) I wonder if - in cleaning out - I have wiped the old format database and that now the new one is in place (just guessing here - I really have no idea).

Beans

I've tried deleting everything but the actual mail files, and it only worked short-term. I've just tried this solution. Lets see how long it lasts.

Statik

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

This fix worked for me. Thank you.

This has been a recurring problem in Evolution for years. Different solutions have worked at different times (like removing all the *.ev-* files). I really hope the Evolution developers get a handle on this at some point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by twl View Post
    This fix worked for me. Thank you.

This has been a recurring problem in Evolution for years. Different solutions have worked at different times (like removing all the *.ev-* files). I really hope the Evolution developers get a handle on this at some point.
    Happy to help

Beans

Nope, its back. Error while Expunging Folder on emptying trash again. *sigh*

I guess I'm stuck with it.

Statik

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishWings View Post
    After having long lasting problems with my evolution mail folders and searching for solutions in vain, i set out to find a way to fix this myself. I have now fixed three problematic installations with no glitches.

If you get error messages like

Code:
    Emptying Trash Fails with 'Error while expunging folder'
    or
    Code:
    Evolution: Summary and folder mismatch, even after a sync
    or
    Code:
    Evolution: Error while Expunging folder
    or
    Code:
    Evolution: error storing '~/.evolution/mail/local/Inbox (mbox)':
    summary and folder mismatch, even after a sync.
    the following solution will most likely work:

1) Stop evolution.

2) Move folder ~/.evolution/mail to desktop.

3) Start evolution. It will create all standard folders again.

4) Stop evolution.

5) Move only the mailbox files (i.e. "Inbox", not the other files like "Inbox.cmeta" etc) under ~/Desktop/mail/local back to ~/.evolution/mail/local. If you have nested levels of folders, re-create the same folder hierarchy and place the mailbox files accordingly.

6) Run '$ evolution --offline'. Evolution will take some time to re-index and update the data base properly.

7) Restart evolution, and click on the on/off-line button in the lower left corner to get back on-line.

Btw, i use Evolution 2.24.3, but guess that this fix is pretty version independent.

Hope this helps.

PS. If any Evolution developer is reading this: Many postings suggest this is a common problem. Perhaps it would be a good thing to have a "repair" switch that does the above steps in Evolution? DS.

This worked to get my evolution working again. I had seen problems when copying email folders from another computer that had been running Thunderbird. (I switched because I like how evolution works with gnome, not because I think it's necessarily a better program). Anyway, thanks for posting the solution, and I definitely second your emotion on having this repair process built in to evolution going forward. It's a pretty daunting fix that would turn off many people who are beginners and just want their PCs to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

This worked like a charm.

Thanks for the thread!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There is a (slightly) simpler way:

1. Shutdown Evolution client
    2. Rename /home/<your user name>/.evolution/mail/local/folders.db file
    3. Restart Evolution again and now syncs should be successful.

It seems there is a database listing the various mail box files that can get corrupted, and just deleting the individual cmeta and index files does not fix this up.

This method leaves your Calendar/Contact info intact.
    Last edited by dcstar; October 7th, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dcstar View Post
    There is a (slightly) simpler way:

1. Shutdown Evolution client
    2. Rename /home/dc/.evolution/mail/local/folders.db file
    3. Restart Evolution again and now syncs should be successful.

It seems there is a database listing the various mail box files that can get corrupted, and just deleting the individual cmeta and index files does not fix this up.

This method leaves your Calendar/Contact info intact.
    You are a lifesaver. I'd been struggling with this all morning until I found you post. Everything seems to be working now.
    Be very wary of any command with sudo in it. Read this for more information and check this to make sure you do know what you're doing.

Random acts of bloggery | Twitter | Identi.ca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast