Thread: Internet Connection Sharing Not Sticking After Restart

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Internet Connection Sharing Not Sticking After Restart

I have managed to get Internet Connection Sharing running with this howto http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=91370 but the problem is I cant get this to stick after reboot. What happens is my computer that is doing the sharing loses internet and so does the computers im sharing to. The only way That I could get internet back was to # apt-get remove iptables and than reinstall iptables. I Done this ICS many times and it works fine until I reboot. I have worked on this years ago than gave up and now im back thinking that a newer version of ubuntu would have helped but did not. Any help would be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by naddix; March 3rd, 2009 at 03:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Internet Connection Sharing Not Sticking After Restart

You're looking at an ancient tutorial from Breezy. Try this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...nectionSharing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

yes I did end up going off of the link you provided and still had no sharing after a restart, but I did figure out how to make it work and someone should make a note about this. after I did the tutorial mentioned above I had to add

sudo iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE

to /etc/rc.local

After I did that everything worked after restarts and shut downs.

Dmizer if you might know what causes this to happen after restart I would really like to know, I have gotten ICS working before and always had this restart issue and now im glad to say that I have it working, but I would still like to know the cause of the problem rather than just the lucky guess I took at it. I would guess something else is clearing something in iptables.
    Last edited by naddix; March 6th, 2009 at 05:14 AM. Reason: I cant spell

Beans
    Hidden!

netfilter rules (those put in place by iptables) aren't persistent, meaning that each reboot they must be reinstated. By adding that line to your rc.local you're just setting up the NAT table again so you can masquerade traffic as needed once the machine has booted up.
    Xipher