Thread: Program for burning data DVDs?

Beans

Program for burning data DVDs?

Dear All,

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic for Multimedia & Video, but:

Which program would you recommend for burning data DVD+RW or DVD-RW discs? I have tried K3B as well as the built-in DVD writer in Ubuntu 7.10 but they have the following problems/shortcomings:

- K3B has problems in the initial emptying/formatting the disc, and causes annouyingly many discs to become unreadable by normal means. I have been using Maxell's DVD+RW discs.

- The built-in writer in Nautilus cannot make multi-session DVDs, which wastes space as my writing sessions could be something like 1 gigabyte.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Regards,
    Vesa

Beans

Re: Program for burning data DVDs?

Brasero works for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I agree with the Brasero recommendation. I'm not on my Ubuntu machine right now, but as I recall it comes standard with the Hardy distro and is available for Gutsy from the repositories.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

K3B has problems in the initial emptying/formatting the disc, and causes annouyingly many discs to become unreadable by normal means. I have been using Maxell's DVD+RW discs.
    I'm surprised about this as I have always found k3b to be the best disk burning application on any platform. I run ubuntu with gnome not kde , but still choose to use k3b, even thiough it looks wrong on gnome, as I find it so much better than brasero. I have never yet got brasero to work at copying a home produced CD or DVD, so no copy protection problem, obviously, whereas k3b does it without blinking and runs without a problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I'm surprised about this as I have always found k3b to be the best disk burning application on any platform. I run ubuntu with gnome not kde , but still choose to use k3b, even thiough it looks wrong on gnome, as I find it so much better than brasero. I have never yet got brasero to work at copying a home produced CD or DVD, so no copy protection problem, obviously, whereas k3b does it without blinking and runs without a problem.
    +1 for running k3b in Gnome. I have done a lot of burning using DVD+RW and everything comes out just the way it should.
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell View Post
    Brasero works for me.
    This

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I use k3b for all of my burning, unless I'm stuck on a Windows machine, but... oddly, I can't remember if I've ever tried to burn a multi-session DVD. If I had, I doubt it would have been a DVD±RW, either. What I do remember about multi-session discs, however, is that they are strange fruit, and some computers and devices won't recognize them properly.

That was just my experience... maybe I had bad luck.

I definitely got some coasters out of k3b because the multi-session was set to "Auto" when I shouldn't have been using it, so maybe you could check the settings there (especially the all-important "Misc." tab) if you haven't already.
    "Turn up the signal / Wipe out the noise!" —Peter Gabriel

Beans

Alright, thanks for your input, guys! I installed Brasero and will try it at the next suitable opportunity.

Mm, I guess DVD+-RW discs are not as common as DVD-Rs, and so operations on them may not be so well-polished in writer programs as those on DVD-R's.

-Vesa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

you can blank the disc pretty quickly with the command line utility wodim (replaced cdrecrod)
    Code:
    wodim blank=fast dev=/whatever the dvd is
    there are other blank types too check man wodim for lots of info.
    toaster: PIII 1.0GHz Ubuntu Intrepid 2.6.27-7-server (headless)
    merom: Apple MacBook Pro -2.33GHz C2Duo - OSX 10.5.6
    mythb0x: P-D 2.66Ghz MythDora 3.2: 2.6.18 - PVR-150 - VIA Unichrome Pro - MSI Hetis 800 case

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I am using nerolinux or wodim