Thread: Segfault in terminal, runs okay from shortcut

Beans

Segfault in terminal, runs okay from shortcut

Hi all,

I'm using Wine to run a program called E-Sword. Now, before you tell me to move my question to the Wine forum, I'm not asking specifically about Wine. Anyway, what happens is that, when running the program, I call the following code:-

Code:
    env WINEPREFIX="/home/data/wine/esword" wine "C:\Program Files\e-Sword\e-Sword.exe"
    Whenever I run this from the terminal (gnome-terminal, as is default in Ubuntu), I get a segfault. So I've been spending most of the day reinstalling Wine and the application, was driving me crazy because it would work once in a while. After a while, I figured out that it would only work when I launch it from the .desktop launcher that gets created.

So, I figured something must be borked in my terminal session. After confirming that the problem was caused by launching from gnome-terminal (and, by extension, by launching from my dock, cairo-dock) and does not appear when lauching directly by double-clicking the launcher in Nautilus, I tried to run the above line within xterm (as opposed to gnome-terminal). It ran fine, no segfault.

My question, therefore, is what additional env settings are applied to gnome-terminal (or whatever settings would cause a difference between the xterm and gnome-terminal results). I'm pretty sure I've borked something in my tweaking, it only showed up this morning, though, and I haven't recently messed around with many configs besides compiz (and yes, I disabled compiz to test, as well).

So, anyone can suggest stuff which may be contributing to this? Please note that I'm also posting this at linuxforums, can be accessed here.

Beans

Re: Segfault in terminal, runs okay from shortcut

i just replied over there. check it out.
    Try eJWM.

deb coming soon.