Thread: function keys not working on dell laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question function keys not working on dell laptop in xubuntu

i have an old dell inspiron 3800 with xubuntu installed every thing works out of the box but the function keys i will need these to switch from CRT to LCD and the sound keys so does any one know where i can get the drivers for this?
    Last edited by sansa dude; March 6th, 2009 at 01:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: function keys not working on dell laptop

any ideas?

Beans

Re: function keys not working on dell laptop in xubuntu

I have similar problem with my CRT/LCD function key. All the other functions such as, volume, brightness, wireless, and CD/DVD drive eject work fine. Is there a work around or a patch?

I have a Dell Latitude/D510

Thanks in advance.

Beans

Sansa, I upgraded to the Jaunty version and the CRT/LCD function started working for me. After the upgrade, I immediately tried the function key and saw the screen flickered as if it tried to send the signal to the CRT/LCD. I cycled back to normal, and plugged in the LCD and "BAM!" it works.

I suppose some drivers were updated in the latest version. However, I'm having problems now as my laptop is not coming up, after I put it in hibernation mode last night. So don't hibernate your laptop.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by trungd_t View Post
    Sansa, I upgraded to the Jaunty version and the CRT/LCD function started working for me. After the upgrade, I immediately tried the function key and saw the screen flickered as if it tried to send the signal to the CRT/LCD. I cycled back to normal, and plugged in the LCD and "BAM!" it works.

I suppose some drivers were updated in the latest version. However, I'm having problems now as my laptop is not coming up, after I put it in hibernation mode last night. So don't hibernate your laptop.
    ok kool i was playing around with the keyboard controls and changed them to the latitude version, because at school we have Dell Latitude D520 and they seem to have the same keyboard layout so i'll play around with it. FYI i am now on jaunty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: function keys not working on dell laptop

I am having the same problem with my ASUS EEE PC 1000. After upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10 the function keys (specifically Fn-F8) that allow switching of monitor modes are not working.