Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ICS Vista master Ubuntu slave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: ICS Vista master Ubuntu slave

GWBouge, can you ping external IP addresses as outlined in post 7?

Quote Originally Posted by scottclinton View Post
    Hi thanks for responding quick. I cant ping any external IP's from ubuntu.

I notice that when I run route -n no default gw exists. Do I need to add one and if so is it 192.168.0.2 (vista nic ip) or 89.211.22.189 (vista ppp)

When I follow the link you suggested it mentions for dns dhclient.conf is this not applicable to dhcp as I have that disabled
    That file still handles DNS, so yes even though the file is related to DHCP, you still need to edit it.

Yes, you'll also have to add Vista's static internal IP address as your gateway.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    GWBouge, can you ping external IP addresses as outlined in [URL="http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6864441&postcount=7"]post 7
    Yes, actually. pinging 209.191.93.52 (yahoo.com) in the terminal worked, but I can't seem to use anything except ping. Firefox, synaptec ... even apt-get update from the terminal won't go through.
    Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GWBouge View Post
    Yes, actually. pinging 209.191.93.52 (yahoo.com) in the terminal worked, but I can't seem to use anything except ping. Firefox, synaptec ... even apt-get update from the terminal won't go through.
    Your only problem then is DNS resolution. You should be able to solve that by following the link I posted in post 7.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dmizer View Post
    You should be able to solve that by following the link I posted in post 7.
    Nope =o(

I can still ping 206.190.60.37, but not yahoo.com
    Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans

Just an update ...

while adding the command to dhclient.conf from your link didn't work for me, manually adding the nameservers to resolv.conf fixed it, as outlined in post #7 here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-905909.html

"
    Check your "/etc/resolv.conf" file. It should have the name servers mentioned

nameserver 208.67.222.222
    nameserver 208.67.220.220
    "

I'm not sure the difference, but I probably just messed something up or misspelled something. I'm such a n00b! =oX

Beans
    Distro

Beans

Yeah. it seems to be working fine now, even after reboot and kernel upgrades.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12