Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: How old is your main computer?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How old is your main computer?

Just built it......about 2 months now. I will upgrading to a 4800 series GPU and a Phenom Processor this summer.
    My Launchpad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Wiki Page

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I currently have a home-made PC, build 05172008-1 specs in my Signature...
    Meh, I'm too lazy to make a signature. I'll make one later.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Built mine sometime back in 2002 if I remember correctly.

It's weird when you hear friends talking about how their two-three year old machines break (hardware failure) and then think about your own machine that has been up and running ~12h/day 6-7 years with no problems at all.

Heck, I even forgot to put my processor fan and heatsink on once after cleaning stuff up and saw a small cloud of smoke come from the processor. But after plugging the fan and sink back on it was all good to go again and still runs to this day.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

9 year old 900MHz Athlon with 512MB of RAM, running Arch with the Evil window manager.

I've thought about upgrading to a new system, but running the minimalist system that I am, this machine just isn't slow

Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Not sure how old it is, maybe the community could tell us. It's one of MPCs old Millennia Series: PIII 650 512mb ram in a "frog box" case. It runs Hardy with no problems.

Beekr
    ps -ef | grep -iE "life"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

~3 years, Dell Inspiron 1300 laptop. Working OK but faulty touchpad - left mouse button has problems, and faulty backquote key which is sensitive to atmospheric changes on Mars. Seriously, you only need to rest your finger above it for it to type.
    Lucid Beta 2 powered Studio 15 (Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz, 3 GB RAM, HD 3450) & Windows XP powered Scaleo E (Celeron D 3.06GHz, 1.5GB RAM, Intel GMA 915G). Please see Ubuntu Tutorials (my YouTube channel).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

This machine.. About a year

Core 2 dou E4500 overclocked to 3ghz. 4gb DDR2 -700mhz ram. Nvidia Geforce 8600gt 256mb. 250gb and 80gb hard drives -with fans. Abit fatality 1 motherboard SLI. I am proud of it. Runs Hardy smoothly, very responsive. Runs Winxp horribly for no reason( dual boot ).

My laptop is about 4 years old. IMB THinkpad X40. 1gb ram 1.3ghz Intel. No dual booting. Ubuntu hardy only.

Server is 550mhz 256mb ram. I started to call it the little devil. Debian 4. 8gb hard drive, 4gb external, 3.1gb "extra" hard drive. Runs the sites in my sig. 15 years old.

New server (will still not get as much use as my little devil) has a 1ghz cpu and 128mb ram. 40gb Hard drive. No network card yet. Debian 4. 8 years old.

Oldest machine which will soon be a server was also my first desktop. It ran Win98 slowly. A few years ago it was a my main machine, running Ubuntu 6.10. 450mhz , 192mb ram. 20gb hard drive. Wasn't too bad.

I have others, but I mentioned enough.

Beans

about 3 years

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Only about a week .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think my homebuilt desktop is about 4 or 5 years old... Many upgrades though, so it keeps up with current machines. Have a year old cheapy Acer laptop from Walmart, runs like a champ even though it runs Vista basic... And have an eee pc, about 4 or 5 months old. I use the Acer the most and the homebuilt for gaming. Eee was a waste of money for me, I got a new wireless gateway from my ISP and the Eee and it don't get along well, only have internet access about 50% of the time on it. Thinking of getting rid of it on ebay, but will get less than half of what I paid...

Regards,
    Stew
    Dissing other peoples choice of OS is unproductive. Use what works best for you.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast