Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: SheevaPlug

Beans

Re: SheevaPlug

Quote Originally Posted by lastword View Post
    I have a couple 500gig flash drives sitting around.
    ???

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    ???
    I edited the original post to make it clear what I was going on about.

-lastword
    Last edited by lastword; April 11th, 2009 at 07:20 PM.

Beans

I got my SheevaPlug yesterday, and was able to log right in using ssh through the Ethernet port once the SheevaPlug had gotten its IP address from my router via DHCP. Very nice! Ran apt-get to install apache2, and had a web server in no time. Next up: get the USB thumb drive and Wifi adapter working.

The one thing I had a bit of difficulty with was logging in through the mini-USB connector using minicom, but I finally got it by modprobing the ftdi_sio serial driver with appropriate usb vendor and product args:

modprobe ftdi_sio vendor=0x9e88 product=0x9e8f

I was then able to use minicom to connect through /dev/ttyUSB1 using 115200 8-N-1 settings (not sure what's on /dev/ttyUSB0...)

Jon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jsevy View Post
    IVery nice! Ran apt-get to install apache2, and had a web server in no time. Next up: get the USB thumb drive and Wifi adapter working.

Jon
    What apt-get command did you use? I am very green when it comes to ubuntu (being a Slack geek), and I had to create /var/cache/apt/archives/partial and /var/cache/apt/archives. It looks like it got some stuff, but a lot of archives were 404's. bummer.
    apt-get install apache2
    and
    apt-get install apache2-mpm-worker
    no luck.

Maybe I will just build Apache2 from source?
    -steve

Beans

Steve,
    before apt-get would work right for me - I too got lots of irritating 404's - I had to "update":

apt-get update

This somehow syncs the local apt repository contents with those on the server. After that apt-get worked fine.
    \
    Jon

See http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get for more details...

Beans

apt-get update not working for me what am I missing?

root@debian:~# apt-get update
    E: Archive directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial is missing.

Beans

Ok I just created the directory and now update is running just fine

Beans

Doh! I remember the instructions shipped with it. "Version: 1.0 for reference only - Please download newest version 1.1". I wonder what version of the install is flashed at the factory?

Ummm... last line of apt-get:
    E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
    hahahahahah.... What a dummy. _grin_

Ok, I will give this my best shot using the installed Ubuntu. I work with RHEL at work, and Slackware at home. I will have to see how easy it is to compile on this monster (in the case of no supported package for your program). I have to admit though, everything I look for these days are pre-built for Ubuntu. Now if I can only get it to mount a thumb drive.

Thanks for the help gents! This looks like it will be fun. What a great router/firewall for home and small business. $59.00 for a Linksys router or $99.00 for the same thing except that it has a web server, DNS server, can do email for a business or home and what ever else you can think of... Nice time to be alive...

I'll post the url for the first site I get running. Sweet, it even has an /etc/hosts.allow access list. Anyone else notice the eth1 interface?

-steve

Beans

As someone interested in eventually getting a Sheevaplug (or two), I was pleased to see this thread develop

I have asked some Canadian sales reps for info on Canadian suppliers/retailers, but so far no response

Right now there are two things on my mind that would help me feel better about a future purchase:

- The details of anyone successfully using some sort of wireless adapter (USB I guess), which is reasonably-priced and works well with the Sheevaplug

- The details of anyone successfully using 'gphoto2' to do remote capture/download of pics from digital cameras attached to the USB port (I was never able to duplicate my success of gphoto2 on the NSLU2 as I was on my desktop, for reasons unknown)

Beans

I just bought one, unfortunately it seems that I will have to wait a month to have it at home

I'm planning on using it as 24h downloading box, NAS and FTP (maybe webserver too). But it would be great to be able to use it as firewall as well. So, I'm really interested in which Wifi cards have been tested and if it's possible to put it in hotspot mode. Maybe an USB Ethernet card would also do the job...

I will use an sdhc card for storage, so the USB port will be free for anything else.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast