Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A call to the community for action!

Beans

A call to the community for action!

As you may know, in another thread I started talking about Microsoft suing TomTom over it's implementation of the Linux kernel, I have done a lot of pondering, and taken everyone's comments into consideration.

I may get flamed for making such a radical flip like this, but I think that we should all go down to the store, buy 5 CD-Rs, load Ubuntu on them, and ask local computer stores to hand them out along with a flier.

Why would this be a good idea? It's simple, Microsoft needs to learn that FUD spreading to boost Windows' sales needs to stop. As one user pointed out in the forums, Microsoft seems to spew the most FUD when a new and upcoming version of Windows comes out, such as 3 years ago when they said that F/OSS infringes over 235 Microsoft patents a few months before Vista came out. And now they are trying to scare potential and current Linux users by doing the TomTom suit. Now while some of you may not agree with me on the fact that this directly involves Linux, it's still quite scary for a new user to see this title on CNet or another source of news, "TomTom sued over patents regarding it's implementation of the Linux Kernel" Quite clearly, Microsoft is using scare tactics alongside 3rd party journalism to scare more users into buying Windows 7, and it must be stopped.

So in short, due to Microsoft's FUD, I would like to ask all of the people here to show that when Microsoft spreads FUD, it backfires. So please, go down to your local store, spend $2, burn Ubuntu on just 5 CDs, and ask your local computer store to hand them out. Sure 5 may not sound like a lot, but with the multitude of users of Ubuntu already out there, 5 CDs per person is a lot in the long run.

If you would like, please also hand out a flier talking about F/OSS and its benefits.

Thank you,

Grant A.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: A call to the community for action!

And you actually think that your local store is going to hand them out?

**** A Scene of 3 Employees at a local store *****
    Joe: What is this thing?
    Bob: I dunno. Ubutnu.. probably some virus.
    Dan: virus? You let that kid hand you a virus?
    Joe: He told me to hand it out with this flier.
    Dan: You nut head. Do you want to get fired? We can get fired for infecting users PCs.
    Joe: Oww! That's right.
    *Joe throws all 5 Ubuntu CDs in trash
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    And you actually think that your local store is going to hand them out?
    /thread
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post
    As you may know, in another thread I started talking about Microsoft suing TomTom over it's implementation of the Linux kernel, I have done a lot of pondering, and taken everyone's comments into consideration.

I may get flamed for making such a radical flip like this, but I think that we should all go down to the store, buy 5 CD-Rs, load Ubuntu on them, and ask local computer stores to hand them out along with a flier.

Why would this be a good idea? It's simple, Microsoft needs to learn that FUD spreading to boost Windows' sales needs to stop. As one user pointed out in the forums, Microsoft seems to spew the most FUD when a new and upcoming version of Windows comes out, such as 3 years ago when they said that F/OSS infringes over 235 Microsoft patents a few months before Vista came out. And now they are trying to scare potential and current Linux users by doing the TomTom suit. Now while some of you may not agree with me on the fact that this directly involves Linux, it's still quite scary for a new user to see this title on CNet or another source of news, "TomTom sued over patents regarding it's implementation of the Linux Kernel" Quite clearly, Microsoft is using scare tactics alongside 3rd party journalism to scare more users into buying Windows 7, and it must be stopped.

So in short, due to Microsoft's FUD, I would like to ask all of the people here to show that when Microsoft spreads FUD, it backfires. So please, go down to your local store, spend $2, burn Ubuntu on just 5 CDs, and ask your local computer store to hand them out. Sure 5 may not sound like a lot, but with the multitude of users of Ubuntu already out there, 5 CDs per person is a lot in the long run.

If you would like, please also hand out a flier talking about F/OSS and its benefits.

Thank you,

Grant A.

Dude you are all over the place. One day you love Linux, next day you are bashing it and praising Microsoft Windows, next day you ask about Mac OS X, next day you encourage everyone to help spread Linux. Please make up your mind.

Zach

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ricemonster View Post
    /thread
    +1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hyperyoda View Post
    Dude you are all over the place. One day you love Linux, next day you are bashing it and praising Microsoft Windows, next day you ask about Mac OS X, next day you encourage everyone to help spread Linux. Please make up your mind.

Zach
    Current events can easily change one's mind. Here's a bit of an explanation on that, I liked Linux until I eventually got to the point where I realized that we were slowly, but surely, becoming Windows. I was never praising Windows, I just do not think it is right to take someone's ideas, no matter how bad they were to you. I am only on Windows as a temporary platform, and I inquired about OS X because it seemed like a good platform, until I got some more information. Either way, I want Microsoft to go down, and they easiest way to do that would be to spread the word about the easiest to use F/OSS operating system out there: Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I had to do a double check to be sure it was the same poster as the recent 3 strikes thread i recalled reading.
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post

Thank you,

Grant A.

I think it's a good idea, except, i have to agree with Dr. Small. Except the part about it being a virus. Anyways, your probably have a better chance with a small local community like a school. I did a poll a while back about operating systems and got more than 100 results. Honestly i think it would be better to do that.
    .i coi rodo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dragos240 View Post
    I think it's a good idea, except, i have to agree with Dr. Small. Except the part about it being a virus. Anyways, your probably have a better chance with a small local community like a school. I did a poll a while back about operating systems and got more than 100 results. Honestly i think it would be better to do that.
    That does sound like a good idea... so make a school club and hand out Linux CDs there to members?

Beans

People will download Linux if they have an interest not just take someone's word from it in a store, and I wouldn't give Ubuntu out, perhaps something a littler easier to use like OpenSuSE or Mandriva.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast