Thread: kernel debug problem

Beans

Angry kernel debug problem

Hi All
    i am using ubuntu8.10 with kernel 2.6.27 installed in my system.
    I've to debug the kernel(for learning purpose) using kgdb, for that i searched on net and found that kgdb is avaliaible only for 2.6.15 kernel source.
    so i downloaded 2.6.15 kernel source and put it in my /usr/src directory after that i reffered the link:-
    http://beginlinux.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/how-to-compile-an-ubuntu-810-kernel/
    (i copied the config file from the kernel installed in my machine having kernel 2.6.27)but in the compilatoin it is giving me the error:

include/asm/mpspec_def.h:78: warning: packed attribute ignored for field of type unsigned char[6]
    arch/i386/kernel/apic.c: In function smp_apic_timer_interrupt:
    arch/i386/kernel/apic.c:1136: sorry, unimplemented: inlining failed in call to smp_local_timer_interrupt: function body not available
    arch/i386/kernel/apic.c:1205: sorry, unimplemented: called from here
    make[1]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/apic.o] Error 1
    make: *** [arch/i386/kernel] Error 2

so how to work around this problem? plz help.

and one more thing is there any version of kgdb available to debug the 2.6.27 kernel?

thanks

Beans

Re: kernel debug problem

Quote Originally Posted by anuragccsu View Post
    Hi All
    i am using ubuntu8.10 with kernel 2.6.27 installed in my system.
    I've to debug the kernel(for learning purpose) using kgdb, for that i searched on net and found that kgdb is avaliaible only for 2.6.15 kernel source.
    so i downloaded 2.6.15 kernel source and put it in my /usr/src directory after that i reffered the link:-
    http://beginlinux.wordpress.com/2008/12/03/how-to-compile-an-ubuntu-810-kernel/
    (i copied the config file from the kernel installed in my machine having kernel 2.6.27)but in the compilatoin it is giving me the error:

include/asm/mpspec_def.h:78: warning: packed attribute ignored for field of type unsigned char[6]
    arch/i386/kernel/apic.c: In function smp_apic_timer_interrupt:
    arch/i386/kernel/apic.c:1136: sorry, unimplemented: inlining failed in call to smp_local_timer_interrupt: function body not available
    arch/i386/kernel/apic.c:1205: sorry, unimplemented: called from here
    make[1]: *** [arch/i386/kernel/apic.o] Error 1
    make: *** [arch/i386/kernel] Error 2

so how to work around this problem? plz help.

and one more thing is there any version of kgdb available to debug the 2.6.27 kernel?

thanks
    Hello! I have found the same problem compiling the kernel 2.6.11.12
    I have tried also to don't include APIC support in the configuration menu, but without success!

Beans

Re: kernel debug problem

While you need 2.6.15 to use the full patches, kgdb is in 2.6.27 that you have by default on your system.

you need boot arguments of kgdboc=ttyS1,115200 for com2 and S0 for com1 of course.

you of course need 2 machines... but I'm sure you know that.
    Last edited by julianelischer; April 24th, 2009 at 12:40 AM. Reason: screwed up the arguments