Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP/AtherosWireless/Ubuntu 8.10/Can't Connect After Update

Beans

Question HP/AtherosWireless/Ubuntu 8.10/Can't Connect

Hello everyone at Ubuntu forums, I am having a small connection issue with Ubuntu 8.10 and I would really appreciate if someone could help me with some guidance.

Around two months ago I bought a new HP Pavilion (specs ahead) laptop on which I installed Ubuntu 8.10 x86-64. Even though the LiveCD was able to connect to the internet without any problems, after installing Ubuntu I started having wireless issues: Ubuntu did not detect any wireless networks and it seemed as if it didn't even recognize my wireless card.

After a short while browsing these forums someone in here suggested me to install the linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic package from the backports repository, after installing it Ubuntu started to recognize wireless signals and the Network Manager stopped graying out all the non-eth0 options. The led button on my laptop continued red (as if the wireless was still disabled) and had no effect when I pressed it.

After a while (about a month ago) new updates came along, I installed them (can't recall their names) and after rebooting I had no wireless connection and almost every option in the Network Manager was grayed out again.

I have been busy and ignoring the problem for the time being (using Vista right now,)but right now I really feel the urge to properly fix this issue so I can start using Ubuntu again.

Even though any help will be greatly appreciated, more complete answers are encouraged with the purpose of making this thread useful to other people having similar issues and so that I might grasp what's wrong with my computer as I (hopefully) fix this, instead of just clicking and typing without learning anything in the process.

I apologize if this post might seem overly long (read: boring) and my writing unclear, English is not my mother tongue.

My laptop specs are:

HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC.
    AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz 64 bits.
    4 GB RAM.
    ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics.

Network adapters:
    Atheros AR5007 802.11 b/g WiFi Adapter
    Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

Currenly running Ubuntu 8.10 x86-64 and Windows Vista 64 bits.

Thanks you for your attention in reading this long long post. Really thank you.
    Last edited by SrEstroncio; February 27th, 2009 at 10:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: HP/AtherosWireless/Ubuntu 8.10/Can't Connect

I am not using linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic method to get my wireless working for my atheros but you have to reload your driver everytime you reboot with backports.

Beans

try doing the same thing what you did earlier.. the backports...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HP/AtherosWireless/Ubuntu 8.10/Can't Connect After Update

Did you ever search whether a driver is actually loaded for your wifi card? Specifically, look at the output of
    Code:
    sudo lshw
    and look if it says UNCLAIMED in the section concerning the wifi card.
    If so, you might want to try and load the module
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ath5k
    #or
    sudo modprobe ath9k
    Look at http://madwifi-project.org/ for more informations on the drivers and supported cards.
    If you notice that the module is not automatically loaded at startup, you can add the module name to /etc/modules.

Beans

I'm sorry if this might seem like a stupid question, do I have to download and install ath5, ath9 or MadWifi before doing any of that?
    I'm going to go get myself a wired connection to try what smani suggested.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If I am not mistaken ath9k is included in a default installation, ath5k is in the backports modules. To see if they are available on your system, type
    Code:
    modinfo module_name
    it will either report that the module was not found or will give you information about the module. Madwifi (whose module is called ath_pci) should also be included by default.

Beans

I did the sudo lshw thing and it did say UNCLAIMED, so I did the sudo modprobe ath5k thing and then lshw-ed again, but it still said network UNCLAIMED:

*-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Ethernet controller
    product: AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
    version: 01
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
    configuration: latency=0

Info was returned when I did modinfo for ath5k, ath9k and ath_pci, by the way.

This is a screenshot of how things normally look (having no wireless and all):
    Last edited by SrEstroncio; February 28th, 2009 at 09:10 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by binbash View Post
    I am not using linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic method to get my wireless working for my atheros but you have to reload your driver everytime you reboot with backports.
    No you haven't. You can configure the OS to automatically load it at boot time:
    Code:
    echo "ath5k" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules
    /etc/modules is a list of instructions for drivers to load at boot time.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SrEstroncio View Post
    I did the sudo lshw thing and it did say UNCLAIMED, so I did the sudo modprobe ath5k thing and then lshw-ed again, but it still said network UNCLAIMED:

*-network UNCLAIMED
    description: Ethernet controller
    product: AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
    version: 01
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
    configuration: latency=0

Info was returned when I did modinfo for ath5k, ath9k and ath_pci, by the way.

This is a screenshot of how things normally look (having no wireless and all):
    In order to see if your device is properly recognized, you should look at the output of:
    Code:
    ifconfig
    That should list your wireless device.

Now if it doesn't do so at the modprobe ath5k command, try ensuring that nothing interferes:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r ath5k
    sudo modprobe -r ath9k
    sudo modprobe -r ath_pci
    Then load it again & check output:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ath5k
    ifconfig
    And if it still won't work it is time to collect log messages from the kernel about your driver:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep ath5k

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by SrEstroncio View Post
    Hello everyone at Ubuntu forums, I am having a small connection issue with Ubuntu 8.10 and I would really appreciate if someone could help me with some guidance.

Around two months ago I bought a new HP Pavilion (specs ahead) laptop on which I installed Ubuntu 8.10 x86-64. Even though the LiveCD was able to connect to the internet without any problems, after installing Ubuntu I started having wireless issues: Ubuntu did not detect any wireless networks and it seemed as if it didn't even recognize my wireless card.

After a short while browsing these forums someone in here suggested me to install the linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic package from the backports repository, after installing it Ubuntu started to recognize wireless signals and the Network Manager stopped graying out all the non-eth0 options. The led button on my laptop continued red (as if the wireless was still disabled) and had no effect when I pressed it.

After a while (about a month ago) new updates came along, I installed them (can't recall their names) and after rebooting I had no wireless connection and almost every option in the Network Manager was grayed out again.

I have been busy and ignoring the problem for the time being (using Vista right now,)but right now I really feel the urge to properly fix this issue so I can start using Ubuntu again.

Even though any help will be greatly appreciated, more complete answers are encouraged with the purpose of making this thread useful to other people having similar issues and so that I might grasp what's wrong with my computer as I (hopefully) fix this, instead of just clicking and typing without learning anything in the process.

I apologize if this post might seem overly long (read: boring) and my writing unclear, English is not my mother tongue.

My laptop specs are:

HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC.
    AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz 64 bits.
    4 GB RAM.
    ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics.

Network adapters:
    Atheros AR5007 802.11 b/g WiFi Adapter
    Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

Currenly running Ubuntu 8.10 x86-64 and Windows Vista 64 bits.

Thanks you for your attention in reading this long long post. Really thank you.
    Not sure if this will help you at all, but for what it's worth: in January 2009 I installed Intrepid on my wife's HP laptop, which has the AR5007 wireless card.

I can't remember if I had to do any tweaking to get it to work, but it was working fine up until I updated the linux kernel headers to 2.6.27-12 earlier this week.

I reverted back to 2.6.27-11 and it all works fine again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast