Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Windows Mobile sync with Intrepid

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

HOW TO: Windows Mobile sync with Intrepid

I just managed to get this right after about a year of multiple threads and many different ways of trying. This way took me about four hours and should take you even less with this guide.

This has been tested to work as described on a CDMA HTC Touch Pro from Sprint as well as an HTC Apache with the same radio

WARNING, BACK UP ALL CONTACTS AND EVENTS BEFORE SYNCING. IT IS HIGHLY LIKELY THAT ON YOUR FIRST SYNC YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR CONTACTS ON ONE OR BOTH DEVICES!
    On my first sync (with all my contacts on my phone) they were wiped out and I had to manually add them all to Evolution again because I didnt have a compatible backup format and CVS sucks... PIMBackup for your WM device is a nice free option

This is a guide to getting your Windows Mobile 5+ smartphone or pocket PC to sync with Evolution. It should also work (using extra opensync plug-ins) with Sunbird, KDE 3.x PIM, Blackberry, Palm, and Open Palm packages and devices. This guide, however will only focus on Windows Mobile to Evolution.

To start off, we need to install a few packages that our GUI sync apps will rely on.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install synce-sync-engine synce-kpm multisync0.90
    *note* There is no Gnome native sync option that I can find for Intrepid that's nearly as good as sync-kpm. I recommend it to both KDE and Gnome users. Use synce-kde or synce-gdm for Hardy

For file browsing under Nautilus in Gnome also install
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synce-gnomevfs
    *note* this is not necessary with newer WM 6+ devices as they give you an option to use a mass storage connection when pluged in which works like any other removable storage in Ubuntu.

Now we need to install our OpenSync plugins for use with MultiSync. For Windows Mobile and Evolution we want to run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install opensync-plugin-synce opensync-plugin-evolution
    At this point you want to use Alt-F2 to run synce-sync-engine then Alt-F2 and run synce-kpm

*note*synce-kpm wont create a launcher in your menu, you might want to set a desktop shortcut to it
    *note* you want to make sure RNDIS is enabled on your phone by going to "Settings > Connections tab > USB to PC" and making sure the "Enable advanced network functionality" box is check, otherwise this wont work. Many other guides require this to be disabled, so if you've tried other guides to sync your WM device, this might be disabled.

At this point you should be able to connect your device and it should be recognised by the already running sync-kpm. This will ask you to create a partnership for your device.(*see issues at bottom) Pick a name and what you'd like synced and you should see a screen that shows you battery info, basic device info and an add/remove programs tab.

If at this point your device isn't detected open up ActiveSync on your device and go to "Menu > Connections" and make sure "Synchronize all PC's using this Connection:" is checked and set to USB

If that still doesn't work, try disabling the Ubuntu firewall by using (only if you are behind a router with a firewall, otherwise see bottom of post for ports to open individually)
    Code:
    sudo ufw disable
    If you've got a connection with synce-kpm now then you can start up the program that actually makes the sync connection, MultiSync.

Start multisync by running multisync0.90 via Alt+F2 or from a terminal window. In the top left click the Add button and choose a group name for this sync profile. After choosing your group name you will be presented with a window to set up the actual sync profile.

Click the "Add Member" button and select "Evolution 2.x". Click the "Add Member" button once more and select "Plugin to synchronize with Windows CE device" and click close.

Now with the KDE PDA Manager (synce-kpm) running, click the refresh button under your newly created group in MultiSync and your contacts and calendar should sync.

Like I said, the first time it wiped my contacts from my device but it seems as long as you don't delete anything from your PC that you don't want deleted form your device then it will work fine and sync both ways. I had deleted all the contacts in Evolution to try and to a clean sync to the PC but instead it registered the deletes on my device.

* There seems to be a problem with synce-kpm registering the device as new each time it's pluged in. Each time you plug in your device to sync it you may have to create a new partnership with synce-kpm. I'm not sure how to fix this or why each new one created sticks under synce-configure-bindings but the syncing itself works so hopefully someone will be able to work out this lesser problems later.

*The individual ports to open for Windows Mobile syncing are TCP 990, 999, 5678, 5721, 26675. I'm not going into detail on how top open firewall ports, you can find this info many other places with a quick Google search.
    Last edited by HittingSmoke; February 27th, 2009 at 07:15 PM.
    And the thread title of the year award goes to...
    " Supositories not working - On the verge of losing it here - help!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: HOW TO: Windows Mobile sync with Intrepid

Works! Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, I guess it works only with Gnome... I tried now for hours to set it up with KDE, but with no luck!
    With Gnome everything works flawlessly, but some how I'm too stupid to get it synchronized with KDE 4.2 and Kontact?! Probably you know a solution?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by wucherpfennig View Post
    Well, I guess it works only with Gnome... I tried now for hours to set it up with KDE, but with no luck!
    With Gnome everything works flawlessly, but some how I'm too stupid to get it synchronized with KDE 4.2 and Kontact?! Probably you know a solution?
    I haven't got it working with Kontact but I do have it working with Evolution under KDE 4.2.1. Some of the plugins for multisync aren't available for KDE 4 so for now we're kind of stuck using Evolution. It's the only program I can get to properly sync up. I holding out for a way to use Thunderbird myself.

Beans

Well, I almost got it to work. I was able to get SynCE to detect my phone, Sprint HTC Touch, but am unable to setup a partnership. The "Create" button doesn't become active or "click-able". Any idea how to fix this?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dtom2444 View Post
    Well, I almost got it to work. I was able to get SynCE to detect my phone, Sprint HTC Touch, but am unable to setup a partnership. The "Create" button doesn't become active or "click-able". Any idea how to fix this?
    Are you using SynCE KDE PDA Manager in Intrepid?

If so what does it say under "ActiveSync Status"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks. I tried Tomthewombat's rather more convoluted method which worked for a short time and then stopped. This is working OK, thankfully. Only one thing though - when I go into Evolution, all my contacts and appointments appear 3 times! any reason for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by RichardCain View Post
    Thanks. I tried Tomthewombat's rather more convoluted method which worked for a short time and then stopped. This is working OK, thankfully. Only one thing though - when I go into Evolution, all my contacts and appointments appear 3 times! any reason for this?
    I'm not sure but I'm noticing that too now. Also on my phone. Do you have to set up a new partnership in Sync-KPM every time you connect like I do?

Beans

looks great!

I'm going to try this out as soon as I can. Hopefully it'll finally be the one that works

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wucherpfennig View Post
    Hi,

I have updated the wiki on www.synce.org and you will now see the answer to your question in the ubuntu installation instructions.

For the moment it is not possible to sync to kontact of KDE 4.x. The reason for this is that OpenSync does not work with this yet. So until a new stable release (0.4x) of OpenSync is released, I don't think that you can sync to Kontact in KDE4.

Kind regards,

Guido Diepen

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast