Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these issues solved with 9.04?

Beans

Question Are these issues solved with 9.04?

Back in the day of 7.04 and 7.10, I could burn my shows to DVDs without any troubles whatsoever. Since 8.04, this feature is useless. Will this be fixed in 9.04? If not, approximately when? I know there are various fixes for some of these issues, but I am getting tired of patching things that used to work fine in OLDER versions.

Secondly, when is the analog port on the Hauppauge 1800 going to work without patches/fixes? I have a 150 and an 1800 in my current system, and due to some conflict/issue with the two coexisting, I can't use the 150 now, as it doesn't record audio. The digital part of the 1800 works fine. I would be willing to pull the 150 out if the verdamt analog port on the 1800 worked. Does anyone know if these will be fixed/addressed in 9.04, or is it time for me to find some other software to use as the base of my DVR?

Beans

Re: Are these issues solved with 9.04?

Sad, sad. I have now tried MythDora and the LinHES version of Knoppmyth. No go with either.

MythDora seemed to be a winner, until it refused to connect to my router via wireless. Hint: It would help in the setup if you allow the user to set up the network LONG before they setup anything else. The idea of using the MythWelcome bit would have been nice, but due to no network connection, I really couldn't get far in the configuration.

LinHES also ran well, save for getting a black screen for Watch TV with either tuner card, and seemingly no way to drop out of the interface to go poking around, ala Mythbuntu.

Oh well, I guess I will just pack the thing away until I hear that something will work, as I am tired of being a beta tester.

Beans

Please contact our customer service department for a full refund.

Beans

Excellent and supportive reply theophile. I'm sure it's people like you that keep the free software world a tightly knit community.

As for agamotto, I feel your pain. I've been using Mythbuntu since its first release, and I know what you're talking about. I'm currently experiencing the notorious "Channel Guide Slowdown" issue that's apparently been creeping around for awhile.

The truth of the matter is that there are always going to be bugs in free/open source software. Its a growing pain that will be us for a long time. For instance, the Linux kernel itself has that awful "iowait" bug thats been around for many versions.

The only thing I can tell you is search for a workaround until a real fix appears. What I end up doing is pausing my Live TV before I bring up the program guide unless I want Xorg to clobber my Mythfrontend and cause a freeze. It sucks, but unless anyone is willing to step up and get their hands dirty in the source, we just have to wait.

Don't give up hope!

PS - really theophile? pffft.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by agamotto View Post
    Back in the day of 7.04 and 7.10, I could burn my shows to DVDs without any troubles whatsoever. Since 8.04, this feature is useless. Will this be fixed in 9.04? If not, approximately when? I know there are various fixes for some of these issues, but I am getting tired of patching things that used to work fine in OLDER versions.

Secondly, when is the analog port on the Hauppauge 1800 going to work without patches/fixes? I have a 150 and an 1800 in my current system, and due to some conflict/issue with the two coexisting, I can't use the 150 now, as it doesn't record audio. The digital part of the 1800 works fine. I would be willing to pull the 150 out if the verdamt analog port on the 1800 worked. Does anyone know if these will be fixed/addressed in 9.04, or is it time for me to find some other software to use as the base of my DVR?
    If you find other DVR software for your Hauppauge 1800, it won't be Linux at all: the v4l driver does not yet support analog (analog support "coming very soon" since September 2007...) This is not specifically a 'buntu 9.04 issue (or Mythdora or Mythwhatever).

Problems with Mytharchive (and yes, they're legion, though fixes/workarounds do exist for most of them) pertain mostly to Mythtv 0.21 itself (except for some genisoimage, wodim, growisofs issues that are rooted in Debian silliness) Some of the continuing Mytharchive problems may continue to be fixed in Mythtv 0.21 and into Mythtv 0.22 ...but you'll likely need to ask at the source: the Mythtv list over at Gossamer Threads.

But the question arises: if your DVR box ran right and archived right with Mythbuntu 7.x and Mythtv 0.20.2, why not continue to run Mythbuntu 7.x and Mythtv 0.20.2 on that machine? I had to move to Mythtv 0.21 (and its attendant problems) because of storage group support. But otherwise my master backend machine runs Mythbuntu 7.10, and since the mobo can't seem to handle the sound changes in 8.x, it will continue to run Mythbuntu 7.10 until the day it dies (or until I need to convert it to ...um ..."MythSlack".)

So for your machine, unless there is a killer feature or support you deperately need in 8.x or 9.x (and Myth 0.21), wipe the machine and reinstall what actually worked for you: Mythbuntu 7.x with Mythtv 0.20.x. A working machine has to be better than putting it in the coat closet out of sheer frustration.

Just my $.02

Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Flecko View Post
    PS - really theophile? pffft.
    The guy is complaining about having to lift a finger to get features he wants. He doesn't want to patch things, he just wants everything he wants out of the box. This thread isn't even asking for help, it's asking when someone is going to give him what he wants.

This isn't a commercial product. If you want support, ask for it and be willing to do a little work. Don't just complain that things don't automatically work. Or just get a TiVo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Flecko View Post
    The truth of the matter is that there are always going to be bugs in free/open source software. Its a growing pain that will be us for a long time. For instance, the Linux kernel itself has that awful "iowait" bug thats been around for many versions.

The only thing I can tell you is search for a workaround until a real fix appears. What I end up doing is pausing my Live TV before I bring up the program guide unless I want Xorg to clobber my Mythfrontend and cause a freeze. It sucks, but unless anyone is willing to step up and get their hands dirty in the source, we just have to wait.

Don't give up hope!
    Part of the problem is the development cycle timeline. There are too many 'new' features added, without doing the boring troubleshooting and making all of the weird pieces of equipment work for everybody.

I think we should still be on 7.10, but working to make it a rock solid thing. If I were to set it up at my parents house 300 miles away, I would want to know that it can work for years without any user induced problems. But, I can't because a simple thing like filling up the partition with TV recordings causes it to stop working.

Now, I haven't used 8.04, 8.10 or 9.04, so maybe these problems were fixed, but if there are new problems or bugs, I can't recommend it to non-Linux people.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Blame the right people. Blame Hauppauge people for not opening the specs for their cards, providing windows only drivers. Send them e-mails, tell them you use Linux and don't want to be treated like second class citizens.

Keep in mind developers of Mythtv are doing it, as far as I know, for free, in the spirit of free software.

Keep in mind that freedom seldom comes for free. You have to "fight" for it, in a way.

Take a look at the success stories of other Mythtv users, and try to use that working hardware, and always check Linux compatibility of everything you buy.

Also, you might consider other options, even Windows based, why not?.

Good luck.

Beans

Despite the tone of agamotto's original post, (hey, everyone has a right to complain) he did ask clear questions.

He wanted to know if DVD backup and his two tuners will work/be fixed in 9.04. So if anyone reading this is running 9.04 at this time with a similar setup, please post your experiences.

Lets all get along!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by theophile View Post
    Please contact our customer service department for a full refund.
    Hahahahahaahaha! I love people with a sense of humor. I used to work in retail, so it was especially funny to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast