Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi shane,

Glad it has all worked out for you . The 64bit codec pack from MPlayer is in fact not something to lose to much sleep over as it only includes a handful of codecs:

Code:
    andrew@skamandros~/Desktop$ tar tjf essential-amd64-20071007.tar.bz2 
    essential-amd64-20071007/
    essential-amd64-20071007/cook.so
    essential-amd64-20071007/drvc.so
    essential-amd64-20071007/sipr.so
    essential-amd64-20071007/README
    I will admit to being a retired fan of MEncoder as I have moved my allegiance to FFmpeg courtesy of the FakeOutdoorsman's guides .

All the best,

Andrew
    Really, is FFmpeg along the same lines as MEncoder? I too updated my FFmpeg also. I was wondering if anyone knows if I should have grabbed the 32bit codecs? Thanks for the how to.

Shane

Beans

Hi shane,

Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post
    Really, is FFmpeg along the same lines as MEncoder? I too updated my FFmpeg also. I was wondering if anyone knows if I should have grabbed the 32bit codecs? Thanks for the how to.
    I have found the syntax of FFmpeg to be much more intuitive than that of MEncoder and I have always had better results with FFmpeg. As well FFmpeg development is usually white-hot, take a look at the FFmpeg-dev mailing list one day and you will see what I mean while I suspect it has been a while between MEncoder changes. I would be interested to hear what others think?

Unfortunately I have no knowledge of using the 32bit codecs on a 64bit system. I guess the good news is that the codecs are becoming less necessary as FFmpeg slowly produces native replacements, wmapro being an excellent and recent example.

All the best,

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Hi,

Finally it has happened and Karmic Koala will get a decent copy of MPlayer:

Package: mplayer (2:1.0~rc3+svn20090426-1ubuntu2) [multiverse]
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/mplayer

This leads to the odd situation that for the moment the repository version is actually a little newer that the Medibuntu version although I note that the repository version will have some libavcodec amputations, removed mpc support and a few little odd things.

Certainly though this marks my retirement from the svn MPlayer guide business, these guides were only ever intended to provide an avenue for Ubuntu users to get a reasonably new version of MPlayer in face of the ancient version in the repositories. It looks as if this will no longer be the case, particularly if svn updates are backported, although I will personally continue to use svn of course .

All the best,

Andrew

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

In the meantime, I followed the first post of this guide to install mplayer on my Jaunty. I had the repo version but it sucked so I used 'sudo apt-get remove mplayer', then followed the guide.

Everything went fine except it doesn't actually work. Now I have an amd64 mplayer .deb on my desktop, but trying to play a video returns
    bash: /usr/bin/mplayer: No such file or directory
    I tried running

Code:
    dpkg -i Desktop/mplayer_3\:1.0~svn-r29352-1_amd64.deb
    but this is what I get:
    Code:
    chaz@brutus:~/bin$ sudo !!
    sudo dpkg -i mplayer_3\:1.0~svn-r29352-1_amd64.deb 
    (Reading database ... 146885 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace mplayer 3:1.0~svn-r29352-1 (using mplayer_3:1.0~svn-r29352-1_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement mplayer ...
    Setting up mplayer (3:1.0~svn-r29352-1) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    chaz@brutus:~/bin$
    and it still doesn't work.

Clearly I'm missing something important here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What does dpkg --contents Desktop/mplayer_3\:1.0~svn-r29352-1_amd64.deb say?
    Developer of SMPlayer.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    In the meantime, I followed the first post of this guide to install mplayer on my Jaunty. I had the repo version but it sucked so I used 'sudo apt-get remove mplayer', then followed the guide.

Everything went fine except it doesn't actually work. Now I have an amd64 mplayer .deb on my desktop, but trying to play a video returns

I tried running

Code:
    dpkg -i Desktop/mplayer_3\:1.0~svn-r29352-1_amd64.deb
    but this is what I get:
    Code:
    chaz@brutus:~/bin$ sudo !!
    sudo dpkg -i mplayer_3\:1.0~svn-r29352-1_amd64.deb 
    (Reading database ... 146885 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to replace mplayer 3:1.0~svn-r29352-1 (using mplayer_3:1.0~svn-r29352-1_amd64.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement mplayer ...
    Setting up mplayer (3:1.0~svn-r29352-1) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    chaz@brutus:~/bin$
    and it still doesn't work.

Clearly I'm missing something important here.
    It is probably installed however the 'common' location is somewhat changed. In the terminal type:
    Code:
    which mplayer
    If it returns something like this:
    Code:
    /usr/local/bin/mplayer
    Then you probably just need to make a link like this:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/local/bin/mplayer /usr/bin/mplayer
    That will create a soft link to the 'normal' place that Ubuntu expects it to be at.

If you don't get the above response, please post what you did get.

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I created the symlink and it works now. It was in /usr/local/bin

Mplayer works now but it still fails to play the video I am trying to play, and the video I hoped compiling the svn would fix. VLC does play the video, and xine plays it without sound. It's an animated movie from the '80s. I do not know what kind of file it is since VLC doesn't have nice verbosity like mplayer. I suppose I must be missing a codec.

I can play this video with VLC and it's not a big deal but if VLC can do it and mplayer can't there must be something missing from my configuration; maybe a 64 bit thing.

Beans
    Distro

More than likely it is codec you are missing. As a fellow 64bit user I went ahead and downloaded the codecs suggested for the 32bit and untarred it also to the location they mentioned. It hasn't hurt thus far, and if it does cause a problem I reckon I can just delete the codecs, and only put the 64bit ones in there. You could give that a try. It is worth a shot. Let us know if that helps.

Shane

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    Hi,

Finally it has happened and Karmic Koala will get a decent copy of MPlayer:

Package: mplayer (2:1.0~rc3+svn20090426-1ubuntu2) [multiverse]
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/mplayer

This leads to the odd situation that for the moment the repository version is actually a little newer that the Medibuntu version although I note that the repository version will have some libavcodec amputations, removed mpc support and a few little odd things.

Certainly though this marks my retirement from the svn MPlayer guide business, these guides were only ever intended to provide an avenue for Ubuntu users to get a reasonably new version of MPlayer in face of the ancient version in the repositories. It looks as if this will no longer be the case, particularly if svn updates are backported, although I will personally continue to use svn of course .

All the best,

Andrew

Thanks for all your great help, I used your tip in Hardy and Jaunty and benefited from using the latest FFMPEG and x264 as well as mplayer. For Gnome I suggest the excellent gnome mplayer which is in the repos or one could compile it from the source as I have done.

Beans

Hi Arup,

Quote Originally Posted by Arup View Post
    Thanks for all your great help, I used your tip in Hardy and Jaunty and benefited from using the latest FFMPEG and x264 as well as mplayer. For Gnome I suggest the excellent gnome mplayer which is in the repos or one could compile it from the source as I have done.
    It has been a huge amount of fun and I am glad you have profited by my playing around with this great software . I will admit that I have only ever used the Gnome MPlayer briefly a long time ago and I will have to revisit it soon.

Andrew

Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast