Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New ARM based Netbook running on Ubuntu

Beans

Re: New ARM based Netbook running on Ubuntu

What would interest me is a netbook that's the size of a playstation portable or a size that would fit in large jean/sweater pockets without showing a big bump.
    Last edited by s3a; September 4th, 2009 at 11:43 PM.
    Apps for Ubuntu (outdated) ---> http://cid-23a283fc1010a1bb.skydrive...%20Wine|6?uc=1
    Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

The problem with something that small would be making a keyboard that's large enough to be used like a standard keyboard. If I'm using a netbook I don't want to have to thumb-type; I want a full QWERTY that I can use two-handed, fingers on home-row, etc...

For something the size you're talking about you might want to check out the Nokia N800, N810, and N900. They're internet tablets (the 900 is also a phone), so they're pocket-sized, but designed more for use as a portable web-browsing device. They also run Maemo (Nokia's Debian-based OS)
    GCS/O d+(-@) s: a-->? C(++) UL P+ L+++@ E@
    W++$ N++ !o K++ w(++) !O M(-) !V PS+(++)
    PE-() Y+ PGP++ t++(+++@)* 5++ X++@ R+++@
    tv+ b++(+++) DI++ D+ G+ e++>++++ h- r y?

Beans
    Hidden!

Want

Beans

The problem with something that small would be making a keyboard that's large enough to be used like a standard keyboard. If I'm using a netbook I don't want to have to thumb-type; I want a full QWERTY that I can use two-handed, fingers on home-row, etc...

For something the size you're talking about you might want to check out the Nokia N800, N810, and N900. They're internet tablets (the 900 is also a phone), so they're pocket-sized, but designed more for use as a portable web-browsing device. They also run Maemo (Nokia's Debian-based OS)
    Isn't there some tiny device with specs that could handle (and of course run) a standard Debian or Ubuntu installation? I'm thinking of something tha'ts small but has the same (or similar) specs to an arm netbook or smartbook (I think that's their name) and that costs around $100. What I want is a device that could run an office suite, check the internet, use msn, and use other software like kmplot. Basically I want a computer acting like a portable device instead of a portable device acting like a computer if you know what I mean. If something of the sort exists, please point me to at least one example .
    Last edited by s3a; October 17th, 2009 at 03:49 AM.
    Apps for Ubuntu (outdated) ---> http://cid-23a283fc1010a1bb.skydrive...%20Wine|6?uc=1
    Use Mnemosyne to Study for School!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I already spent most of my provisions for this sort of thing on my Dell Mini 9
    These look awesome though, I still really want one.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

did not know ubuntu had an ARM port I want to sell my macbook cd for one, ubuntu makes it sweeter thought I'd have to do a gentoo... now only if arch got an arm port

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This is kind of an old thread, but I wanted to resurrect it. With the reading and searching I have done, I think I understood that ARM worked fine for email, web etc. but I think the drawback was getting OpenOffice to work on it. Perhaps that is an old hurdle and has been overcome, but I would like to know if it has. Also they had said they were going to be out by Christmas time, and we are starting to get close and I haven't seen anything as of yet. Are these out? Are they delayed?

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I'm not bothered if Open Office doesn't work on it. I think I may have used OO just twice in the last year on this full sized desktop.

Netbooks are NOT meant for serious computing at all.

Just surfing the net.. Play a few Ch00ns... and getting your emails, which you can actually get on your mobile phones these days. but it's nicer to have the bigger screen and keyboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I am ok if OpenOffice won't work on it, as there are lighter alternative for it. But it basically a web surfing machine and email machine (or that is what I would use it for).

Also they had said they were going to be out by Christmas time, and we are starting to get close and I haven't seen anything as of yet. Are these out? Are they delayed?
    I know that is what I am wondering myself as I would like to get one but I haven't heard anything about them being out.
    Yeah I know pirated copy of XP is free, but so is Ubuntu and it's LEGAL!

Beans

I am really looking forward to these myself. I am quite happy running Fedora on my Acer Aspire One 10" with 7 1/2 hr battery life... (When I first installed Ubuntu one version did not like the ethernet and the other did not like the wireless and Fedora worked fine with both and I was curious about it anyway...)
    What I REALLY would like to see is a screen resolution of 1024x768 or better (I HATE the way our govt allows Intel AND Microsoft to dictate to OEMs what they are allowed to put in a "netbook.")
    Combine this with 8hr+ battery life and a keyboard you can touch type on for a less than $300 price point and I'm sold...
    Or I might be tempted with a "mobile internet device" that gives me the functionality of my present netbook and can slip in a pocket instead of carrying around in a case...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast