Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: mythrename script cron job not running

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: mythrename script cron job not running

I looked again. It looks like I changed ownership on the folder so it would match the others in the directory. I tried to match permissions, but I see they are not all the same.
    Code:
    user@mythbuntu-desktop:/var/lib/mythtv$ ls -l
    total 36
    drwxrwsr-x 2 mythtv mythtv     6 2008-10-16 00:36 music
    drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv mythtv     6 2008-10-16 00:36 pictures
    drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv mythtv  8192 2009-10-04 23:11 pretty
    drwxrwsr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 16384 2009-10-05 01:34 recordings
    drwxrwxr-x 2 mythtv mythtv  4096 2009-10-03 19:21 videos
    I'm not sure how you change a wxr to a wsr.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No, me neither. The only time I've played with the 'sticky bit' (which I think the 's' represents, is when setting up a Samaba share on the backend so I could view my media folders from a Windows machine.

Beans
    Distro

So, do those permissions and folder ownerships look like the problem with the script not being able to create the symlinks in that /var/lib/mythtv/pretty directory?

I should mention that the reason the pretty directory has a size to it, is that I called the mythrename script from a command line (logged in as a regular user) and the script worked fine - putting lots of symlinks into the folder.

Eric
    Last edited by neutron68; October 5th, 2009 at 09:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: mythrename script cron job not running - seems solved

I tried something similar to the person who started this tread, and it worked for me too.

In the crontab file, I changed the user that invokes the prettynames script from the mythtv user to my friend's user name. It worked.
    Code:
    # m h dom mon dow user	command
    5,35 *    * * *   user   /etc/cron.hourly/prettynames
    Within 30 minutes, updated symlinks appeared in the pretty folder.

I'm still stumped why the users mythtv and root would cause problems with the prettynames script??

Eric
    Last edited by neutron68; October 6th, 2009 at 10:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Slight variation to the solutions above. I was having a similar problem getting the mythconverg_backup.pl script to run daily. I realize there is a weekly DB backup script in cron.weekly but I wanted it to run daily and I wanted to use the mythconverg_backup.pl script since it appears to be the most elegant DB restoral path.

Including it in cron.daily didn't get it to run. Was going to follow suggestion above to specify the user (ie not root user) in the /etc/crontab file but this page suggests that may be overwritten on updates, so I did as suggested on that page and entered the job with 'crontab -e' so that my local user crontab looked like this:

Code:
    SHELL=/bin/sh
    PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

# m h  dom mon dow   command
    20 04   * * *   /etc/cron.daily/mythconverg-backup-mytry
    ... where the /etc/cron.daily/mythconverg-backup-mytry file was :

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    /usr/local/bin/mythconverg_backup.pl

I don't know if the PATH and SHELL entries are needed, I added them to be safe...and I suspect I could have simply referenced the actual perl script directly or copied it into the daily directory, but anyway, after setting the time in the crontab to run a few minutes into the future to test I was overjoyed to find a brand new backup in the right location a few minutes later. So thanks for the solutions in this threal

Just found out the 'gnome-schedule' app provides a gui for crontab as well, if that is your thing...
    Last edited by dakota34; January 17th, 2010 at 03:53 AM. Reason: additional info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12