Thread: Moving Panel at Bottom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Moving Panel at Bottom

I have just installed Ubuntu 8.04 on my system and am not happy with the alignment of Panel(containing menus).Some of them are on Top,while others are at bottom(like Trash)
    I previously used Kubuntu which had only one panel at bottom.
    Is it possible to shift all the panels,toolbars,etc to bottom side in Ubuntu.
    Any answers...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Moving Panel at Bottom

if you left click (and hold) on the top panel, you can drag it to the bottom. once it is there, you can right click on the bottom panel and choose "delete this panel" to get rid of the bottom, leaving you only the top panel, now in the bottom position. then you can right click on that panel and choose "add to panel", then add the missing items that were on the old bottom panel, like trash, etc...

hope that helps.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks fooman for reply..
    However,Iam seeing that the default file manager 'Nautilus' is also working very diferently compared to 'Konquerer' of Kubuntu.
    Like,in Konquerer,I can right click on any opened tab and click Close' to close it,but in nautilus,i cannot even right click on any tab.
    Can you guide me to any tutorial on Net which can shed some lights on tweaking with Hardy.
    I have just started using Hardy and may come across other features which may disappoint me..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

some good info here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=tweak+hardy

not sure about your konqueror question, i haven't used kde much lately.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In my experience, Gnome is quite a bit more configurable than KDE, or at least more easily configurable. With a little bit of research and tweaking, I don't think you'll find much disappointment.

You can edit a lot of settings about Gnome and its applications (including Nautilus) with gconf-editor. You may have to install it with Synaptic. And while you're installing things, you might want to have a look at nautilus-actions, nautilus-gksu, nautilus-open-terminal, and nautilus-wallpaper, to add some functionality to Nautilus. Nautilus Actions, in particular, is pretty cool, since you can add any command you want to the context menu.

And you do know you can mix and match Gnome and KDE applications, right? If you want to use Konqueror or Dolphin as your file manager in Gnome, you can. I personally use KDE and Amarok instead of Brasero and Rhythmbox.

Oh... and I just noticed you said you're using Hardy. You might want to upgrade to Intrepid, since it has quite a few features missing in Hardy -- such as the ability you mentioned to right-click on tabs in Nautilus, as well as the ability to restore items from the Trash.

Beans
    Distro

I have recently removed Feisty from my system and installed Hardy.
    I do not wish to upgrade to Intrepid as it has less EOL than Hardy.Iam dual booting XP and Hardy and a shorter EOL means re-installing the Linux version again and again(and I do not wish to do frequent clutterring with my system)
    Regarding Konquerer in Gnome,i came to know that I can install Kubuntu Desktop kdm from synaptic and then I can switch to any of them at boot time.
    But,I have a query that if I do the above activity and switch to kdm,then will the core OS files change or only the Desktop appearance..I mean,while working in kdm,I will be using the Hardy version of Linux or what???
    Sorry if the above Q irritated you,iam a newbie to Linux world..
    Last edited by satish_j; February 27th, 2009 at 08:09 AM.

Beans

I mean,while working in kdm,I will be using the Hardy version of Linux or what???
    Of course that you will use Hardy,because KDE,Gnome,xfce are just different desktop environments.