Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: video converter?

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: video converter?

I had problems, and admittedly in version 7.04 (?), with memcoder, ffmpeg and some related and "based-on" tools. This was due to bugs at that time in a build process to make a conversion tool I downloaded from the repositories. I will be watching this thread as I would like to find such a product for myself as well (converting avi to a format useable on a Cd or DVD that can be read by something other than Linux).

I will throw something in here that I hope doesn't distract from this: there is a free download in Windows called Kates' Video Converter that has worked wonders for me. Has anyone tried this in Wine or found a comparable product in Linux?

Thanks, and hope I'm not distracting from this thread!

Dave

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Smile Re: video converter?

WinFF works well for me, just as easy as any ******* app

http://winff.org/html/
    There is an Ubuntu 8.10 version

I assume you need to have ffmpeg installed
    I don't actually remember as I installed it
    shortly after Ubuntu insta;;
    Multi Boot Ubuntu 10.04 64bit, ******* 7 & XP SP3 on
    Intel E5200 Dual Core 2.5Ghz| 4 Gb DDR2 Ram

10.04 UNR on eeePC 1000HA
    Linux is NOT Windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: video converter?

Quote Originally Posted by gackt View Post
    i just found out that those two software are already installed in my buntu. but when i hit alt+F2 and type mencoder it shows up nothing. Is it text based? is there any software that can do the same thing and have GUI?
    Programs use those two to process video. Try Avidemux it is a menu based gui that I find easy to use. I would try to use the programs from Ubuntu package manager,as it will auto update, rather than a non native program in wine.
    Ian

TenPlus1 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Smile Re: video converter?

Avidemux can convert video formats from one to the other

DeVeDe can convert video formats to Video DVD or SVCD formats...

Both can be found on www.getdeb.net

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: video converter?

Have they "fixed" avidemux? The reason I ask it is one of the applications I had trouble with in 7.04. The audio would get further and further ahead of the video when converting avi to another format. This is why I went through all the build processes for 3 or 4 pieces of software so I could rebuild avidemux with a supposed fix. One of those make processes eventually caused avidemux not to make. That is the main reason I didn't recommend it, but I also didn't want to start a debate in this thread - I'm just watching for answers myself. If avi conversion to another format has been fixed so the video and sound are now in sync, I would surely appreciate knowing that, so thanks for any input you provide in that regard while answering the original poster's question.

Thanks!

dave

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

winff and cinelerra. Use Winnff to convert your videos to mpeg2 and import ton cinelerra. then after you can export ad reconvert in winff.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

WinFF is a great converter I use it's a mandatory install for me on my systems, I suggest you have a look at it . Good Luck!

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS|| CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 || RAM: 3GB DDR2(PC-6400) || Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024mb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thanks!!!!! avidemux is somewhat slow and the gui is well....could have been better..hehe or it is just my feelings.

Use vlc? how am i gonna use vlc to convert video..

winff = could not find package ( im using offline repo heheh).

I wonder if there is one super software that could convert video, audio (mp3 to ogg), picture (bmp) whoa that would be nice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

To convert video's to another format I use AVIDEMUX. It has some nice filters and you can also do some editing. Maybe it's not fast but the result is excellent. Some expensive commercial programs I tried before did a worse job. I usually convert to x264 and dont see any difference with the original. My core I7 needs about 2 hours to convert a 90min movie from mpeq to x264 in dual pass mode. Since I can easily run other programs at the same time I dont care about the speed. After all it's the machine that does the work, I could eat, watch tv etc in the meantime.

Beans

If you want to convert images, then you want imagemagick, which is the backend for gimp.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast