Thread: USB Docking Station

Beans

USB Docking Station

I'm searching for a USB based docking station for my lenovo IdeaPad S10e netbook.
    I found some like the dynadock (http://explore.toshiba.com/accessori...ing/dynadock-u) or the Kensington SD200V. But I can't find a hint for compatibility with Ubuntu.

Hope the community can help me.

Maybe i focus on the wrong way for a docking solution.

Thanx in Advance
    Roland

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: USB Docking Station

Quote Originally Posted by dierde View Post
    I'm searching for a USB based docking station for my lenovo IdeaPad S10e netbook.
    I found some like the dynadock (http://explore.toshiba.com/accessori...ing/dynadock-u) or the Kensington SD200V. But I can't find a hint for compatibility with Ubuntu.

Hope the community can help me.

Maybe i focus on the wrong way for a docking solution.

Thanx in Advance
    Roland
    The hub its self works great, as well as the audio components. *HOWEVER*, let it be known the video portion of the dock does not. So if you have a keyboard, mouse, external hard drive, microphone, headphone/speakers, usb speakers, it works flawlessly. if you hook a monitor up to the VGA port there's no output to the monitor. since most notebooks have built-in mic/headphone jacks, i say save $100 by buying a $20 4-port USB hub.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: USB Docking Station

So far, I do not see any evidence that USB docking statuions are supported on UBUNTU (other possibly than the USB ports). I just bought a Dell A90, which only comes with UBUNTU, and they sell as an option a Kensington USB Docking device, with ethernet and DVI among other ports. However, I don't see any evidence from Kensington that they support UBUNTU, and I've seen a complaint that the MAC support is beta (on Amazon?), despite Kensington's claims that you can use the device on MACs. In addition, the DVI plug looks to be for dual video ( 3 rows of 8 ). However, again, I don't even see a claim for supporting two external monitors. And Dell Hardware chat line is unwilling to say anything at all - maybe its because its 3rd shift. They refer me to another department that is closed.

So... it looks pretty nice, but probably not ready yet.