Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung NC20

Beans

Re: Samsung NC20

Quote Originally Posted by eundas View Post
    This is just to report that I upgraded my NC20 to Ubuntu Natty and it works fine. Nothing broken until now! However, I have still not bothered trying to install the new VIA drivers. I'm using the ones installed by default and the system seems to be quite usable so far.
    Same thing here, usable, but drivers for 10.10 was faster. Hope Via release some drivers for 11.04 soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by mäki View Post
    Same thing here, usable, but drivers for 10.10 was faster. Hope Via release some drivers for 11.04 soon.
    Thanks for the feedback on this!

Beans

bump, anyone have any news of drivers?

Beans
    Distro

I've just updated to Linux Mint 11 LXDE and its running quite well so far.

However activating the camera reverts me instantly back to the login screen. Also the video driver is not too smooth with glitches every now and then.
    So same experience as eundas already reported. Any help?

Keep it coming guys.
    Last edited by Rainier Piqual; June 24th, 2011 at 06:41 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tom09 View Post
    I'm using a 32bit system, as there are no OpenGL drivers for 64bit from VIA. The new driver that VIA released a couple of days ago is for kernel 2.6.35 only (the stock kernel for U10.10). It does *not* compile on 2.6.38, porting it is not as easy as it has been with the older releases, the kernel driver is far more complex now.
    As for the X.Org driver part: AFAICS it's broken in several ways on my NC20 and I have the suspicion that VIA only develops this driver for its OEM systems and mainboards, not for anything beyond that (i.e. notebooks and netbooks).
    I have some ideas on how to get this blob working on newer kernel versions, but I'm not finished yet. Please be patient.
    In the meantime, it could be helpful if anybody running U10.10 with a stock kernel (2.6.35) could test the new driver from the VIA homepage (Select Ubuntu 10.10 and VX900) and report any problems, crashes, weirdness that occur. I'll try and collect the bugs you find and hopefully fix them. Thanks in advance.

tom09
    Hello Tom09,
    is there any news about the
    good work you are doing for the
    communty.
    I am on kernel 3.0.4 and still have the problem that the DRM-driver is
    not compiling.
    The xserver 87a.55727 does only compile with gcc45.
    gcc46 gives errors for duplicate variables.
    Regards
    Uli

Beans

Exclamation Drivers for 64 bits...

I sent an email and this has been the response

My email:
    Hello Alberto Jovito:
    > Hello
    > I am a somewhat unsatisfied user by dr via driver and support for linux drivers. The drivers that you find here http://linux.via.com.tw/support/downloadFiles.action
    > do not have specified for that platform are if are for 64-bit or 32-bit ubuntu obviously I have downloaded the driver for ubuntu 10.10 to a vx800 graphics card and driver
    > are for ubuntu 32-bit and the the page is not specified and not this available the source code to compile it and so would be a solution but the real solution is to have
    > two versions of the driver for 64-bit ubuntu one and one for ubuntu 32-bit otherwise have not been able to use the driver via even because the install shows me an
    > effect Tin of tv static in these two directions https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...me/+bug/665463
    > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...me/+bug/665460 , There is more information about the problem I like that they solved this
    > the most rapid possible Also another thing is that they have not opened a website to report the bugs and even the Forum works please open these pages would be
    > very helpful to solve the problems that cause these drivers It would be good that freed all the source code and in some way help the development of the driver
    > openchrome and table to get 3d acceleration I wait your answers

22/03/2011 response:

Thank you very much for your suggestion. Currently, the bin GFX package available at linux.via.com.tw is all 32bit Ubuntu. For 64 bit driver, it's still under internal verification. And hope can be released at linux portal at about Q3 this year.
    Regarding open source 3D support, the source code of the DRM ( the module which is highly dependent with 3D) is in VIA linux portal. And the graphic programer's manual has been released too. The developer should be able to base on the document we release to develop the driver.

Regards
    =================================================
    Bruce C. Chang(張祖明)
    VIA Technologies, Inc.
    Address: 1F, 531, Chung-Cheng Road, Hsin-Tien, 231 Taipei
    Tel: +886-2-22185452 Ext 7323
    Mobile: +886-968343824
    Fax: +886-2-22186282
    Email: BruceChang@via.com.tw

Beans

Re: Drivers for 64 bits...

Quote Originally Posted by Uli_of View Post
    Hello Tom09,
    is there any news about the
    good work you are doing for the
    communty.
    I am on kernel 3.0.4 and still have the problem that the DRM-driver is
    not compiling.
    The xserver 87a.55727 does only compile with gcc45.
    gcc46 gives errors for duplicate variables.
    Regards
    Uli
    Hello Uli_of,

sorry for the late reply, I have been quite busy during the last weeks. I looked into the latest VIA driver (v89) and (hopefully) fixed most of the issues that occur on the NC20. I also made the driver work on U11.04 but it's slow as hell...and Unity doesn't work either (only Unity2D does).
    Packages for Ubuntu 11.04 are attached, please remove the old packages of the driver first. If you need hw-accelerated OpenGL, the matching files (libGL.so.1.2.via_chrome9 and via_chrome9_dri.so) are available on linux.via.com.tw -> Ubuntu 10.10 -> VX900. I have attached the source code as well, the kernel driver now works with linux 3.0.1.
    As I intend to replace my NC20 with something newer and faster, I won't be able to hack on the VIA drivers anymore (the new laptop definitely won't have any VIA-made part in it!). So unfortunately this is the last driver package from my side. There are some efforts going on to modernize the openchrome driver, so maybe there will be a properly written driver for modern VIA hardware in the near future.

Regards
    tom09
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Re: Drivers for 64 bits...

Quote Originally Posted by tom09 View Post
    Hello Uli_of,

sorry for the late reply, I have been quite busy during the last weeks. I looked into the latest VIA driver (v89) and (hopefully) fixed most of the issues that occur on the NC20. I also made the driver work on U11.04 but it's slow as hell...and Unity doesn't work either (only Unity2D does).
    Packages for Ubuntu 11.04 are attached, please remove the old packages of the driver first. If you need hw-accelerated OpenGL, the matching files (libGL.so.1.2.via_chrome9 and via_chrome9_dri.so) are available on linux.via.com.tw -> Ubuntu 10.10 -> VX900. I have attached the source code as well, the kernel driver now works with linux 3.0.1.
    As I intend to replace my NC20 with something newer and faster, I won't be able to hack on the VIA drivers anymore (the new laptop definitely won't have any VIA-made part in it!). So unfortunately this is the last driver package from my side. There are some efforts going on to modernize the openchrome driver, so maybe there will be a properly written driver for modern VIA hardware in the near future.

Regards
    tom09
    Thank you tom09, the new drivers for 11.04 works much better than it have been working for me without them.
    I also bought a new notebook without any VIA-made parts. I think i'll reinstall this nc20 with long term release and just use it for surfning. It was atleast much faster than with 11.04.

Beans

I updated this NC20 just to see if 11.10 works, and i would say it works better than 11.04, abit slow on startup, but otherwise it's faster. Some problems with Java, but i dont think it have anything to do with the computer.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mäki View Post
    I updated this NC20 just to see if 11.10 works, and i would say it works better than 11.04, abit slow on startup, but otherwise it's faster. Some problems with Java, but i dont think it have anything to do with the computer.
    Appreciate your update Mäki! How about webcam etc any problems with specific devices?

Page 63 of 66 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast