Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung NC20

Beans

Question Re: Samsung NC20

Ok I've been playing with this for a few days now, and I've discovered that firefox3 when using gmail eats up all my CPU. Have anyone else see the same?

.. Good news though.. google chrome dev release is working quite nicely and it's alot lighter than firefox. .. as cons I must mention, that chrome doesnt support addblock feature by anyway (setting proxy is disabled in dev release)

-- discussion about firefox3 & gmail eating all cpu

Beans

Re: Samsung NC20

Quote Originally Posted by lunke View Post
    Note to everyone using the e_powersaver module for frequency scaling; it is considered dangerous on VIA C7 system since it it doesn't scale within the cpu spec. The acpi-cpufreq module should be used instead (needs patching though).

I also noticed the same problem using cpuidle instead of cpufreq, so the wiki should probably be updated so it doesn't recommend the e_powersaver module nor cpuidle.

Patches/discussion;
    http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/28610/
    http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/28609/
    Are you sure this affects the NC20? The Nano is NOT the C7, in fact, it is a complete redesign!!!

With e_powersaver my NC20 scales between 851 and 1700 MHz. Via specifies the nano used in the NC20 with 1600+MHz mentioning that the processor can do more than 1600MHz. So this does not seem too far off.

Has anybody noticed problems like crashes during extended periods of high cpu usage? I did recompile the kernel which took a few hours and did not have problems (at least not hardware related ones )

I will definitely stick with e_powersaver for now, until someone presents good evidence, that there actually are problems with that module.

Beans

I think the processor used in NC20 is 1300+ not 1600+

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thawn View Post
    Are you sure this affects the NC20? The Nano is NOT the C7, in fact, it is a complete redesign!!!

With e_powersaver my NC20 scales between 851 and 1700 MHz. Via specifies the nano used in the NC20 with 1600+MHz mentioning that the processor can do more than 1600MHz. So this does not seem too far off.

Has anybody noticed problems like crashes during extended periods of high cpu usage? I did recompile the kernel which took a few hours and did not have problems (at least not hardware related ones )

I will definitely stick with e_powersaver for now, until someone presents good evidence, that there actually are problems with that module.
    I agree with you.. "Building on the market-leading energy efficiency of the VIA C7® processor family, the VIA Nano processor family offers" mentioned at http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/processors/nano/

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by thawn View Post

I believe the scaling is from 800MHz to 1.6Ghz or 1.5Ghz, some people have reported that unloading and then reloading the e_powersaver module acctually makes it scale correctly from 800 to 1600Mhz.
    Haven't found anything other than the lkml emails though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nicxz View Post
    Hi Londonzombie,

Information on the NC20 in combination with Ubuntu Jaunty can be found at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NC20 .

What I did for installation is first follow the howto @ http://www.sammynetbook.com/plugins/...3.0#post_22976 which gets you a working but slow ubuntu installation. It's slow because of the video driver. To fix that, I then installed openchrome ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenChrome 'manual install')

Good luck!

Does anyone have any experience with this? The post at sammynetbook seemed too good to be true... And at this point, after reading as much as I can find on the topic, what version would be recommended to a newbie? It seems like Intrepid as far as I can tell from the posts here and the wiki.

Thanks for all the great info!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lunke View Post
    I believe the scaling is from 800MHz to 1.6Ghz or 1.5Ghz, some people have reported that unloading and then reloading the e_powersaver module acctually makes it scale correctly from 800 to 1600Mhz.
    Haven't found anything other than the lkml emails though.
    Yes, unloading and reloading the e_powersaver module helps (I describe how to do that on the first page of this thread). but even without reloading I did not have any problems despite the powersaver reporting roughly double frequencies (between 1.6 GHz and 3.2GHz) and even then the NC20 was stable even at high load, which leads me to believe, that the frequencies used are correct and just the reported frequencies are off. However as I said unloading and reloading the module helps and leaves a stable system.
    also after reading the lkml email links you posted, I don't think that they actually affect the NC20, since they talk about problems with the C7 processors not the Nano. Since e_powersaver works without manual patching, I would recommend using that module (and reloading it at boot).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sackley85 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with this? The post at sammynetbook seemed too good to be true... And at this point, after reading as much as I can find on the topic, what version would be recommended to a newbie? It seems like Intrepid as far as I can tell from the posts here and the wiki.

Thanks for all the great info!
    No version really works out of the box so far...
    I do recommend intrepid and the via proprietary driver since that driver is a little bit more stable and supports video decoding acceleration for MPEG2 and 4.

The only difference between the wiki and the post at sammynetbook is that the wiki recommends to compile the openchrome driver to get the installation running. you might try to skip the compilation, change the video driver to fbdev in xorg.conf, and then continue with the installation...

good luck.

Beans

I have read that to avoid the backlight of the LCD from not turning back on properly with the openchrome driver, it is enough to add to the xorg.conf file the option:
    Option "VBEModes" "True"
    Although this workaround should work only with 32 bit installations. Can anybody confirm this? I cannot since I downgraded my installation to Xorg 1.5.2 and I don't want to waste my time reinstalling all the packages. If it is indeed true, it should be added to the wiki.

Beans

I can deny that adding Option "VBEModes" "True" solves the backlite issue on 32 bit Ubuntu 9.04. Moreover the screen fails to load at all.

Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast