Thread: Microphone unstable with Intrepid on Macbook Pro 2G

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Microphone unstable with Intrepid on Macbook Pro 2G

Hi all,
    I followed the wiki instructions to activate the microphone on Intrepid on my Macbook Pro 2G (Core 2 Duo + ATI) and it works pretty well....but...

But it's pretty unstable, often, I loose the connection with the microphone, sometimes it works, and sometimes not. And I don't know why this state changes.

Another issue is:
    1 - do Sound Preferences -> Recording, then tune "Recording" and "Recording 1" to 95% and "Mux" and "Mux 1" to 50% and unmute all as explained in the wiki.

2 - close the Sound Preferences window

3 - Open it again and go to "Recording", all channels are muted again and even their level may be changed.

Any idea? It seems to be a regression from Hardy.
    For each complex problem, there is a simple solution, the wrong one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Microphone unstable with Intrepid on Macbook Pro 2G

Should I understand from this silence I'm the only guy with such an issue?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

you are the first to state such an issue that I know of.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks Ricky,
    From time to time, I really think of definitely switch my computer back to OSX because all the problems I face under Ubuntu. And I always, I say to myself "no, keep Ubuntu" and I do.

But I think, one day, my patience and willingness will end, I hope, when this day will come, my Mac will be fully supported without problem.

Is this the mac is too much older (2 years old)? too much younger (in that case, I can't think about people we want to use Ubuntu with their newer macs)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Romu View Post
    Is this the mac is too much older (2 years old)? too much younger (in that case, I can't think about people we want to use Ubuntu with their newer macs)?
    there are more macbook(pro)2,1 users than other versions. the 3rd gen macbook(pro)s seem to have a low usage rate, macbookpro4,1 and macbook(pro)5,1 seem to be the largest users now.

It doesn't matter how old though, you should not have the issue you are having, especially if it worked well before. Maybe it is pulseaudio interfering somehow? You can always file a bug.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I get the same problem...
    Microphone keeps changing settings and doesn't hold them long.
    Sometimes doing a Skype call it starts well(I had just setted the way needed) and after some minutes on the call, the other person says that they only listen to their echo and not me.. Go check the preferences and the microphones are back to unmuted for output and muted for input.
    I don't mind having to set them up every timeI make a call, but during a call it is VERY upsetting.
    I am in a situation where my family thinks I'm crazy... we all have macs they all use MacOSx and it just works.. I'm the one having to all the time fix something!
    But hey I've learned more than I could think of!
    Macbook2,1 Black 2Ghz 2Gb Ubuntu9.04 MacOSX