Thread: What High School Classes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What High School Classes

So this is my freshman year at highschool and I took the following courses this year.
    Algebra 1, H/PE 1, Comp. Apps/Type by touch, Spanish 1, Earth Science 1, Wrld. Hist 1, and English 9

Next year I am taking
    Geometry 1, English 10, Spanish 2, Life science, intro to IT, H/PE 10, Computer programming, and Wrld. Hist 2 on-line.

Then for 11th/12th I want to go to the technical center and take A+/Cisco.

Can you tell what I want my job to be?

So what are or did you take in high school? And what is your opinion about on-line classes?

P.S. I chose world history for on-line because it's always been my strongest subject and all you ever really do is: Take notes, study notes, read book, take quiz, study, take test, rinse, lather , and repeat.

Beans

Re: What High School Classes

I am taking online classes right now (I am a student at Insight Schools) and so far I like them, but you don't get as much social interaction as you like. It depends on which school you go to as to whether or not it is hard.

As for what I took, I am in Running start, so I am going on to Calc 3 at the college, and at my high school, I am taking Latin 2, English 3, Personal Finance, and Web Design (might as well, the school doesn't offer very many non-noob computer classes).
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gletob View Post
    So this is my freshman year at highschool and I took the following courses this year.
    Algebra 1, H/PE 1, Comp. Apps/Type by touch, Spanish 1, Earth Science 1, Wrld. Hist 1, and English 9

Next year I am taking
    Geometry 1, English 10, Spanish 2, Life science, intro to IT, H/PE 10, Computer programming, and Wrld. Hist 2 on-line.

So what are or did you take in high school? And what is your opinion about on-line classes?

P.S. I chose world history for on-line because it's always been my strongest subject and all you ever really do is: Take notes, study notes, read book, take quiz, study, take test, rinse, lather , and repeat.
    I despised online classes-I hated paying for credit hours of online coursework during my undergraduate degree. Biggest waste of time and money out there. Maybe it is just me, or I'm old fashioned...but why pay good money for something that you can read off a computer monitor?
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Hidden!

If you're getting straight As in Algebra 1, you should probably double up Geometry and Algebra 2 majors for sophomore year. This way you can take Pre-Calculus junior year and Calculus 1 in senior year. If you're going with a major related to computers/tech, colleges like to see you ahead of the game in Math.
    ThinkPad R61 14" | Fedora 14 | Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz | 4GB DDR2 | 64GB SSD

Beans

You're a freshman in HS. Now I'm all for looking to the future but I'll tell you one thing I regret about HS; I wish I did more. Not more work, not more football games, just more friends being stupid and acting likes kids. Everyday being a case of the "****it's". I'm now a sophomore in college credit wise, almost a junior. This is only my second quarter. Want to know the fun part? That is in credits, not time. AP, extra classes, running start, I did them all and all towards a CS degree. Maybe got me two quarters ahead. Not worth it in the long run.

Live life, have fun, don't try to get your life planned at 15.

My $.02.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gletob View Post

Next year I am taking

We sound a bit similar

I'm a Sophomore in High School.

Last year, as a freshman, I took:
    Pre-AP Algebra 2, Pre-AP Geometry, English 1, French 1, Typing, Honors Phys. Science, Art 1, and Geography/History.

This year I took/am taking:
    Biology 1, Pre-AP English 2, Computer Programming 1, Algebra 3, French 2, Honors Trigonometry, Web Design, AP World History.

But you take spanish, that makes you my enemy. *stare* (At our school, it's a big battle over which language is "better"/is more fun to speak)

Next year I don't have much planned out yet, going for AP Statistics for math, and hopefully Programming 2, French 3, and AP Chemistry, the rest...I haven't decided.
    Last edited by ntowakbh; February 24th, 2009 at 05:51 AM.
    sudo rm -rf permanently deletes files. Don't use it unless you KNOW what you are doing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The one thing about high school that I hated the most is that during my sophomore year, the school dropped all of the advanced classes because students were complaining that the classes made the non-advanced students feel inferior.

I was so glad when they started offering dual-credit college courses during my senior year. I took differential and integral calculus, meteorology (online), and English comprehension.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    I am taking online classes right now (I am a student at Insight Schools) and so far I like them, but you don't get as much social interaction as you like. It depends on which school you go to as to whether or not it is hard.

As for what I took, I am in Running start, so I am going on to Calc 3 at the college, and at my high school, I am taking Latin 2, English 3, Personal Finance, and Web Design (might as well, the school doesn't offer very many non-noob computer classes).
    My Son will be starting Insight in the fall for his freshman year, he's very interested in the course selection they have available, as it offers much more than what our local district has.

Can't you do extra curricular activities through your local district school, I know that insight allows for this. My Son will be playing football and wrestling at our local district school even though he won't be attending classes there.

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS|| CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 || RAM: 3GB DDR2(PC-6400) || Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024mb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Giant Speck View Post
    The one thing about high school that I hated the most is that during my sophomore year, the school dropped all of the advanced classes because students were complaining that the classes made the non-advanced students feel inferior.
    Wow, that is a terrible decision your school made. Non-advanced (e.g. slacker) students should feel inferior, because their slacker ways are a fast track to poverty. That's just reality. They need to figure it out now, while they still have time to get on track.

The thread makes me feel old, but I want to offer some advice:
    1. The purpose of high school is to get into a good college (and get an idea of what you would like to study there)
    2. The purpose of college is to develop social skills and get a skillset to get you a good career

Once you are in college, high school is irrelevant.

Once you have a college degree and land a job, then every grade or class you ever took becomes irrelevant. Most employers want to see experience.

In some cases, college + a job will lead you to grad school, as it did for me. That's a whole different story.

So basically just work hard and do well, as you need to get into a good college, and study a lot in whatever field / area you think you may want to pursue.