Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: End of road for Rhythmbox

Beans

End of road for Rhythmbox

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhyth.../msg00023.html

Doesnt look hopeful, I really like Rhythmbox. I know its very simple, but the Music library is rock solid, I love the fact it "watches" my music folder and automatically adds / removes files as they are created / deleted.

If this is the end of Rhythmbox (lets hope not), what could replace it? Banshee has a ridiculous amount of dependencies and Exaile is based on python :/ Amarok is QT so thats not gonna happen.

Thoughts?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: End of road for Rhythmbox

I like Rhythmbox too. It's simple, but very effective. Rhythmbox really doesn't get as much respect as it deserves.

I would hope that somebody else takes over the project, but if not - who knows?
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans

I do feel GNOME lacks slighty in the media department. Will have to see where Banshee goes. Not sure if a desktop full of Mono apps is good tho :S maybe im just being cynical

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I use Banshee so this won't affect me very much. Truth is, I never got to give Rythmbox much of a chance. My hard drive fails hard at a whopping 4 GB

That means I've got to use a removable 80 gig one and in turn, whenever it gets pulled out, Rythmbox deletes all of my music Ergo, Banshee.

Beans

Well that's sad, I love Rhythmbox .

I would be willing to go for Banshee, having no problem with Mono, but I wonder about the iPod support. Is it drag-n-drop easy as it is under Rhythmbox? I don't want "synching" like that mess itunes.

I notice Banshee doesn't use libgpod, hence my question.
    Last edited by Simian Man; February 23rd, 2009 at 11:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I like Rhythmbox, it is sad to hear that....

Beans

I was never a big fan of rhythmbox so I it doesn't really sadden me to see it go however it was a nice and simple generic default music player.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

I was never really a fan of Rhythmbox but it's still sad to see a core component of Gnome die. I wonder what they will replace it with.

I personally love Banshee.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by FuturePilot View Post
    I was never really a fan of Rhythmbox but it's still sad to see a core component of Gnome die. I wonder what they will replace it with.
    Rhythmbox is not a core component of GNOME. It's just another audio player for GNOME (probably the most popular one), and happens to have GNOME SVN and GNOME Bugzilla modules, like many other GNOME related projects that live in those places.

And the fact that the current maintainer is planning to drop maintainership doesn't mean the project is dying. Someone else will probably take over. Or maybe the constraints that the current maintainer sees as permanent blockers will be amended by patches from others, and he will continue maintainership.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

but I wonder about the iPod support. Is it drag-n-drop easy as it is under Rhythmbox? I don't want "synching" like that mess itunes
    For Banshee, you just click on the iPod and click manually manage music or something to that effect. Then you can drag songs on nice and simple

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast