Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Howto: Transparent Web Filtering

Beans

Re: Howto: Transparent Web Filtering

Please do not apologize. I really appreciate your help.

Office-PC:~$ sudo chown squid:squid /var/log/dansguardian
    Office-PC:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/dansguardian start
    * Starting DansGuardian dansguardian Error opening/creating log file. (check ownership and access rights).
    I am running as squid and I am trying to open /var/log/dansguardian//access.log
    [fail]
    Office-PC:~

Beans

You still tracking doc?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello all!
    I am trying to get my intranet web site that is being hosted by apache2 open to the public.
    I use the firestarter firewall and in "/etc/firestarter/user-pre" I added "iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3129" for DG filtering.
    Does this rule stop incoming port 80 traffic from reaching apache?
    Main Desktop: || ASUS P5Q || C2D E8400 @ 3.8Ghz || G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 || MSI GeForce 260 (192core) || 2x640GB WD RAID0 || LG 22x DVD || Sunbeam 650Watt || Cooler Master 690 || ******* 7 64bit \ Ubuntu 9.10 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ddigler View Post
    Please do not apologize. I really appreciate your help.

Office-PC:~$ sudo chown squid:squid /var/log/dansguardian
    Office-PC:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/dansguardian start
    * Starting DansGuardian dansguardian Error opening/creating log file. (check ownership and access rights).
    I am running as squid and I am trying to open /var/log/dansguardian//access.log
    [fail]
    Office-PC:~
    Lets see here. Just for the sake of not wasting anymore time, we will try to just start all over with DansGuardian:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove dansguardian --purge
    sudo rm -R /var/log/dansguardian
    sudo apt-get install dansguardian
    Edit the dansguardian config file (/etc/dansguardian/dansguardian.conf) and comment out the following line:
    Code:
    UNCONFIGURED - Please remove this line after configuration
    Now see if DansGuardian will start:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/dansguardian start
    It should, as we are now running a clean slate of the DansGuardian from the repositories, but if not, please post the errors here again.

I am sorry for the lateness in my reply. I was taken ill with influenza this morning, and have not been feeling well enough to reply.

Dr Small
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by WattoDaToydarian View Post
    Hello all!
    I am trying to get my intranet web site that is being hosted by apache2 open to the public.
    I use the firestarter firewall and in "/etc/firestarter/user-pre" I added "iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3129" for DG filtering.
    Does this rule stop incoming port 80 traffic from reaching apache?

I am not an iptables expert and really have know knowledge in PREROUTING yet. You can try it, but I honestly have no idea of the results. But, why would you want to use PREROUTING over OUTPUT ?
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    I am not an iptables expert and really have know knowledge in PREROUTING yet. You can try it, but I honestly have no idea of the results. But, why would you want to use PREROUTING over OUTPUT ?
    Well that's just what I read somewhere online to use. I changed it to OUTPUT and then my filtering went away so I think maybe firestarter requires it to be PREROUTING.
    Main Desktop: || ASUS P5Q || C2D E8400 @ 3.8Ghz || G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 || MSI GeForce 260 (192core) || 2x640GB WD RAID0 || LG 22x DVD || Sunbeam 650Watt || Cooler Master 690 || ******* 7 64bit \ Ubuntu 9.10 64bit

Beans

OK. Well I got it functioning; thank you! But now, for some reason, upon rebooting the machine I always have to restart squid (takes a few 10-15 secs) to get my internet functioning. Insight?
    Last edited by ddigler; February 26th, 2009 at 02:50 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123