Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone think of a way to get Ubuntu/Linux more mainstream?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Can anyone think of a way to get Ubuntu/Linux more mainstream?

IMHO , the most important feature which an operating system needs to get home users to accept it is the user interface.

Ubuntu doesnt have much acceptance among the non-savvy computer users because it has a klunky user interface.

If there was more effort done to polish up the user interface, add features to streamline configurations, more users would want to use it instead of windows.

Windows user interface might look sterile, but it works where its most needed for home users.

The second important feature that ubuntu lacks is the ability for non-savvy users to use the operating system without relying on help of skilled users. This is a real big drawback. Configuring the operating system for your girlfriend to use is not the same as having her configure it herself. The independence given to the users goes along way into building acceptance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

That and the fact that video display is garbage on Linux generally. Be that in the form of terrible 3D performance, choppy video playback or lack of any working vsync on the desktop.

It all just looks amateur. Long time users have learned to look past these trivialities because they still feel Linux is better than Windows.

But to new folk the ugly 'fat' dialogs, crappy fonts, weird screen updates and god awful video drivers play a big part in making Linux look second rate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Yashiro View Post
    But to new folk the ugly 'fat' dialogs, crappy fonts, weird screen updates and god awful video drivers play a big part in making Linux look second rate.
    OMG , this statement is absolutely true. My wife took one look at ubuntu (hardy heron) and said its ugly compared to slick vista. (i dont have a mac, but i think mac's look pretty )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Obviously none of you configured the graphics properly.
    Learn the principle, abide by the principle, and dissolve the principle. Obey the principle without being bound by it. This my friend, is the GnuFu.
    Geeks die, but the Linux kernel lives forever.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Yashiro View Post
    That and the fact that video display is garbage on Linux generally. Be that in the form of terrible 3D performance, choppy video playback or lack of any working vsync on the desktop.

It all just looks amateur. Long time users have learned to look past these trivialities because they still feel Linux is better than Windows.

Eh?

I don't get any of this.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewKeith80 View Post
    OMG , this statement is absolutely true. My wife took one look at ubuntu (hardy heron) and said its ugly compared to slick vista. (i dont have a mac, but i think mac's look pretty )

My wife took one look at Vista and said, "like hell am I giving Microsoft money for that", and bought an Ubuntu Dell after using Ubuntu on our desktop.

Like the man said, install and configure the drivers.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThePain View Post
    Obviously none of you configured the graphics properly.
    That helps hold Linux back.

You shouldn't have to "configure" anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by zakany View Post

You have to configure stuff even on Windows.

Beans

Yea gee I can think of many things. The problem is, Linux is the way it is becuase its NOT mainstream. Its a tool for hackers and programmers. once you start dumbing it down for the general population (ie. mainstream) you risk changing the essence of what linux is.

Anyways, I think this is the direction Ubuntu is going and I'm OK with it. I don't think its "ruining" linux. The problem is that Ubuntu (and linux in general) still faces problems not entirely related to ubuntu, such as sound, video, graphic, and wireless issues, as well as a lack of software vendors.

-Make ubuntu look great out of the box. (better fonts, better colors, better background)
    -Fix all Wireless card, sound (pulseaudio etc), firefox (slower than in Winxp and crashes often), and graphics issues.

Most ppl just want to use the browser (fix firefox), connect to the internet (fix wireless), watch videos and adjust resolution (fix graphics), and listen to music (fix pulseaudio / whatever else )

Until Linux gets these things right, I can't in good conscience recommend it to any of my friends or family.
    Last edited by airjaw; February 27th, 2009 at 06:39 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zakany View Post

Every OS requires some configuring. I must be lucky, since all I do with Linux is add the codecs, a new theme, and some games and I'm happy.

To say it should come without any configuring is silly. No OS is going to suit everyone out of the box.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Can anyone think of a way to get Ubuntu/Linux more mainstream?
    By -enforcement of freedom(FOSS) . in Goverment institutions as a first step making the mass depends on GNU/Linux softwares and applications.
    No.Still someone who want to buy window$-let him/her do that.but FOSS needs enforcement even if the very element freedom seems affected by the word "enforcement".

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast