Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how do i completely erase ubuntu?

Beans

how do i completely erase ubuntu?

i installed ubuntu on my freshly built computer and now, after realizing that almost every program i intended to use the new build for is incompatible with ubuntu, i need it erased. there is literally nothing except ubuntu on the hard drive; is there a program that i can d/l that will just wipe it?

i have an ISO image of the OS i intend to put on it installed on a disc (which works, i tested it on a different computer running XP). When this is in the cd drive and i reboot there is no "boot from disc" option and nothing shows up to suggest ubuntu recognizes said disc on the desktop when i log on. im guessing ubuntu changed things around so it can no longer boot from disc?

im confused , i just want a blank hard drive at this point

Beans

Re: how do i completely erase ubuntu?

i am on the same ship and no ones seems to have a clear answer.

not too hard. i also want to go from completely ubuntu machine to another and we need some help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It doesn't really depend on Ubuntu ... we need to know what OS you intend to install.

I f you have a full day to two, and really want a BLANK hard disk, download and use killdisk
    Registered Linux User: 482377
    MacBook (1,1) - OS X Leopard
    ASUS P5LD2 - Core 2 Duo 3.0GHz - 2GB Corsair RAM - Nvidia 8800GT - Ubuntu 9.04 / Windows 7 Professional

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

If you don't want to keep anything that's on your drive right now, just tell the installer (some form of Windows, I assume) to erase the drive when you set it up.

As for getting your machine to boot from CD, um... you said you have the ISO on a CD. Does that mean when you open the CD, you see an ISO file sitting there? If so, you will absolutely not be able to boot to that. You'd need to burn the image to the CD; on Windows I'd recommend ImgBurn for that.

If the CD is properly made, then you have to tell your computer's BIOS to boot from CD. On Dell machines you'd push F12 when you see the Dell logo screen, on some others the keys are different. Don't wait for the operating system to load or it's too late. It sounds like your computer is set to not offer the CD as a boot choice, or it doesn't wait very long for you to make a decision.

I hope that helps; if not, tell us what brand & model of PC you have and I'm sure you can get some more assistance!
    "Turn up the signal / Wipe out the noise!" —Peter Gabriel

Beans

i intend to install XP 64bit, but i cant get to the installer to install it. I changed the boot priority in bios to cdrom as #1 and hard drive+ floppy drive as 2 and 3. it still booted ubuntu with no hesitation

just to clear things up it's not just the one .iso file burned onto the disc, there are a couple folders and whatnot. It boots properly, just not on my ubuntu-running desktop.

is killdisk compatible with ubuntu? it can take up to 2 days :shocked: lol
    Last edited by dorado29; February 22nd, 2009 at 01:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

That is a BIOS function. I don't think ubuntu can stop the BIOS booting the CD.
    On mine it makes me press a button to boot the cd. I have 1 second to press the enter button when the message is displayed "BOOT FROM CD"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Change all of them, 1 2 and 3 to boot from CD and see if you get a can't find OS message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by dorado29 View Post
    i intend to install XP 64bit, but i cant get to the installer to install it. I changed the boot priority in bios to cdrom as #1 and hard drive+ floppy drive as 2 and 3. it still booted ubuntu with no hesitation

just to clear things up it's not just the one .iso file burned onto the disc, there are a couple folders and whatnot. It boots properly, just not on my ubuntu-running desktop.

is killdisk compatible with ubuntu? it can take up to 2 days :shocked: lol
    Ubuntu comes with 16,000 programs preinstalled and thousands more in the respitory, plus you can use wine to emulate your windows programs, so what programs won't run? And yes, killdisk is compatible. Ubuntu has higher compatibility with other operating systems than Windows does, believe it or not.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

OK, it sounds like you did the right thing with your BIOS. Although... you said "with no hesitation." Normally I would expect some prompt from the system there. Either a menu, or even "Press any key to boot from CD." However, this can be turned off in some computers' settings, in which case it just boots whatever was detected, in order.

At this time, I do not believe the problem is in any way related to the contents of your hard drive. Some basic troubleshooting is in order here.

Have you tested other CDs to see if your machine will boot to them?

You did say you tried it on another machine, so that lets us know the disc is recognizable—by some machines, but apparently not by yours.

Have you tried burning this CD at a lower speed, or on a different drive? When burning a CD I intend to boot from, I always use the lowest speed possible; this has to do with the physical recording process, so slower speeds result in easier-to-read discs. With some drives this can make a big difference.

Ah, one more idea. It's unlikely, but possible, so I'll ask anyway. Is this a CD or a DVD? Some drives will boot to a CD but not a DVD; generally this is with older hardware, though, and since you have a 64-bit system I doubt your drive would be that old. Still, you never know.
    "Turn up the signal / Wipe out the noise!" —Peter Gabriel

Beans

i couldnt change all 3 to cdrom so i disabled the other two. i got a black screen that said

"reboot and select proper boot device
    or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key"

the message stating "press [certain button] to boot from cd" doesnt show up on startup

this is with a 700mb cd. should i just d/l mandriva or something and write it to cd then try to boot it to see how it works?

edit: hold'em manager, full tilt poker, poker stars, poker tracker 3 are just some of the softwarez that i need to run, including some hotkey scripts, but i havent looked into any of those yet. i play online poker lol
    Last edited by dorado29; February 22nd, 2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: there must be a smaller program i can test it with...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast