View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

94 58.39%
  • No

67 41.61%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you prefer Ubuntu have a version that was a rolling release model?

Beans

Re: Would you prefer Ubuntu have a version that was a rolling release model?

I think it would be better if non system critical applications (transmission, open office, firefox, ...) got updated to their newest versions upon release (small testing time buffer).

Others like xorg, ... should be left alone.

I got the xorg thing on Arch too. Thank Jebus for Links.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

It is going to happen, its just a matter of when.

The idea of Grumpy Groundhog came around back in 05 which was basically to create a distro that was always bleeding edge like sid, there was a spec for it on the launchpad but the blueprint now links to the canonical wiki for some reason.

As far as I know its part of the whole Distributed Development[1] plan which is on going but its part of the later stages.

[1] http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistributedDevelopment/
    Last edited by Eclipse.; February 21st, 2009 at 01:33 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eclipse. View Post
    It is going to happen, its just a matter of when.
    I certainly hope that you are right.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No. Actually I think even 6 months is too fast. Because of 6 months limit, developers cannot do any big significant changes to the overall OS. I think 1 year of release cycle would be better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I would prefer somethin in between.
    *The core packages such as gnu utils, gcc, glib, libc etc. should stay at the same version to avoid breaking compatibility. (Also 6 month is too fast. 1 year is okay I think)
    *End user applications such as pidgin, firefox, openoffice etc. should always be up to date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm for a rolling release version only if the current model remains in place as well. There are some critical situations where I simply cannot and will not use Arch because of the mess it can make. I can assure you that if Ubuntu goes exclusivley rolling release, you are going to see lots of users just go back to Windows, regardless of poll results (not everyone who uses ubuntu frequents this forum).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
    I'm for a rolling release version only if the current model remains in place as well. There are some critical situations where I simply cannot and will not use Arch because of the mess it can make. I can assure you that if Ubuntu goes exclusivley rolling release, you are going to see lots of users just go back to Windows, regardless of poll results (not everyone who uses ubuntu frequents this forum).
    I agree a lot of people would cease using ubuntu but I doubt they would go to windows

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by cb951303 View Post
    I agree a lot of people would cease using ubuntu but I doubt they would go to windows

Right, because we aren't trying to attract any potential Windows converts, are we?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
    Right, because we aren't trying to attract any potential Windows converts, are we?
    simply because the first thing a sane person would do is to try another distro not going back to windows.
    we're not talking about a bug or problem here. whether ubuntu is a rolling distro or not, it's a design choice and I don't see why people would return to windows just because their favorite distro converted to rolling releases. it doesn't make sense.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by billgoldberg View Post
    I think it would be better if non system critical applications (transmission, open office, firefox, ...) got updated to their newest versions upon release (small testing time buffer).

Others like xorg, ... should be left alone.

I got the xorg thing on Arch too. Thank Jebus for Links.
    I had the same problem with my arch, thats why i dual boot arch and ubuntu hardy. i have the newest one that i use most of the time. and the more reliable one installed for if (when) somthing ***** up during a update.

back on subject, i dont think ubuntu should be roling release, i have enought problems with the 6month upgrade that normaly breaks somthing, or somthing stops working in the new version that was fine in the last one.

for rolling release i will stick with arch.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast