View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

94 58.39%
  • No

67 41.61%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Would you prefer Ubuntu have a version that was a rolling release model?

Beans

Re: Would you prefer Ubuntu have a version that was a rolling release model?

Yes, definitely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by cb951303 View Post
    simply because the first thing a sane person would do is to try another distro not going back to windows.
    Hardly. I know plenty of people who threw their hands up and went back to what they knew to be familiar and comfortable: windows.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It looks like most applications will be updated, starting with 10.10. This should satisfy many of the people calling for Ubuntu to become a rolling-release, IMHO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If there was a team of people regulating new software and making sure it works, then surely. I loved how Arch and Sid was always up to date, and if Ubuntu was able to pull something like that off then that would be awesome.

However, when I try to stay bleeding-edge with Ubuntu, I just upgrade to the latest alpha/beta/RC. If Ubuntu became a rolling release, it would have to be more stable than the alphas (which have massacred my system many times in the past.)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Canonical doesn't have the resources to do both. From a feasibility standpoint, Canonical could potentially go both ways, but rolling release doesn't get them anywhere (as a business). Rolling release distros are nothing more than repackagers; for example, Arch just packages upstream changes. There is no concerted development strategy. The entire quality of their product depends on what upstream has done. And while Ubuntu might decide to forgo X-server 1.9 for 10.10, Arch will certainly make it available, come hell or high water, within a few weeks after release. There's just no meaningful QA because there's too many "moving" parts.

From a business standpoint, Canonical has no option. Businesses will not use a rolling release. Companies absolutely hate upgrades, and that includes daily patches.

Looking at the larger community, rolling releases are terrible for innovation as well. Ubuntu already gets a terrible rap for not doing any real upstream development. Most Ubuntu features involve upstream changes or cosmetic changes that are done without good discussions with upstream. We get projects like Ayatana and the new gestures where there doesn't seem to be good discussions with upstream. I'm getting off-topic, but it's important to note that there wouldn't be time for upstream development, and these "sidestream" projects that Canonical is fond of would disappear as well. Ubuntu would just be packages.
    There's nothing fundamentally wrong with that, but upstream projects really need development.

Rolling releases are okay for casual users, but they don't promote development, create revenue, and have spotty quality. None of those is good for Canonical or the long-term interests of the Ubuntu community.

Edit: Ubuntu has largely solved the problem of rolling releases as well. PPAs are a much better, compartmentalized way to upgrade select packages.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I would like them to go to an annual release schedule, but try and keep the repos a bit more current throughout the year. I hate reloading my systems every 6 months, but also find rolling release distros to be unstable and prone to the system breaking.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No, because all new software and upgrades would be dependent current versions and this , in my opinion , would limit development . I'm in no position to know if Ubuntu developers have the time or resources to support such a project , being that different companies and induviduals contribute to each realese and may not be contributing over the long term.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Grant A. View Post
    Would you prefer if there was another version of Ubuntu that used a rolling release model rather than the 6 month release period? If so, why?
    It is called Debian testing/unstable/experimental
    Upgrade Ubuntu | Upgrade unsupported Ubuntu versions | Always backup | Howto upgrade flash
    Minimal CD install | Remove old kernels | My blog | Linux user #462801 | Conscience doth make cowards of us all. -- Shakespeare

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

It looks like most applications will be updated, starting with 10.10. This should satisfy many of the people calling for Ubuntu to become a rolling-release, IMHO.
    I wish. No, they are going to have a new repo for softwares that are NOT already in the official ones after Maverick's release date, not that they are going to update those which are already in the repo. http://www.webupd8.org/2010/06/new-p...y-for-new.html

I don't know whether these new programs will get feature updates either, IMO most likely not. Meanwhile they are setting up a repository for paid softwares. So what is the message? Either stick with old crappy open source or pay to get the latest and greatest?

The problem would be solved if the developers actually use the backport, but apparently no one is using it for some reasons, guess it is a lot less hassles to publish PPAs
    Last edited by beew; September 9th, 2010 at 04:39 PM.

beew is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Flimm

I'd have to say no. Ubuntu would be pretty boring without a shiny new release every six months. Most users don't need to be cutting edge. Releasing every six months is about right to keep users excited about Ubuntu by releasing new features, and to keep the system stable.
    How is it more stable to have to upgrade your whole oS every six months to get some new apps and risk having the whole thing blowing up on you? Upgrading to a new release of Ubuntu is a lot more tricky than installing unstable apps here and there (at least fir end user stuffs rather than system ware) especially if you have third party programs already installed. There are many threads on these forums relating to upgrade problems and the advice from experienced users is almost always "fresh install is preferable". Yeah, right, doing a fresh install every 6 months to get your apps update is stability?

Thanks heaven for PPAs.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast