View Poll Results: Yes or No?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

94 58.39%
  • No

67 41.61%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you prefer Ubuntu have a version that was a rolling release model?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Would you prefer Ubuntu have a version that was a rolling release model?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewpmk View Post
    Depends on what you call a "rolling release". No way should Ubuntu upgrade to new major versions of core packages like the kernel, X, GNOME, KDE, etc. during a release cycle because that would result in instability, since everything depends on them.
    sidux did that. and it works.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yes, that's one thing I don't like about many linux distributions and do like about FreeBSD, for example.
    I'm not a big fan of the fact that just about every piece of software is tied to an OS release.
    I do get how the resulting simplicity helps maintenance, testing and support though.
    But it also means that the 'supported' way to get a new version of vim, for example, might be to go and upgrade my entire OS.
    Which is a bit of a hassle for the user considering that might break many other things.
    Last edited by Methuselah; February 21st, 2009 at 07:54 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I honestly like the 6-month cycle. I think it turns around more innovation and newer releases of apps. For those who don't want that, you can always defer to the LTS cycle.

Although, I think that ubuntu could benefit by more closely following a SCRUM model.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The Arch users do say they have a better release model than we do. Maybe it's worth considering for future releases.
    Phenom X4 Quad Core 9950 Black Editon, Geforce 8800GT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Yes but it won't happen.If you want a rolling release go for gentoo or arch linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would like more backports in the backport repo. But rolling release is not good idea for a distro like Ubuntu.
    Proud GNU/Linux zealot and lover of penguins
    "Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history." --Richard Stallman

Beans

Yes.

Though it could have more than one level of repo'; a more cutting edge one for the experienced users & a stable one set as standard.

Having a rolling release system would save the user from having to go through the invasive upgrades/reinstalls every 6 months, or whenever they choose to do it.

Though I don't see it happening.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Not really. It probably would be a headache to fix, especially if you don't update everything. But I probably would try it out, just to see.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Yes.

Though it could have more than one level of repo'; a more cutting edge one for the experienced users & a stable one set as standard.

Having a rolling release system would save the user from having to go through the invasive upgrades/reinstalls every 6 months, or whenever they choose to do it.

Though I don't see it happening.
    That sounds like a good compromise. If the standard repository is far enough behind the cutting edge repository breakage might be discovered in time before average users get it. So being 1 or 2 months behind a rolling release could be safer than on the cutting edge yet still more up to date than stable releases, wonder if it'd work.

I think backporting major updates of all desktop applications (such as to Firefox 3) by default while the release is supported is the ideal balance between being up to date and avoiding headaches. Those are the ones you really want. Minor updates plus updates to the desktop environment, servers and things under the hood can wait until the next release.
    Last edited by Kvark; February 21st, 2009 at 12:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I like things the way they are now. I've got the LTS version on my desktop, and a 6-monthly on my eee (currently intrepid). If something new comes out that I really wanna try... well, you can often find a .deb of a new release and install it yourself, or even compile some source. And the 6-monthly turnabout keeps things fresh for me anyway.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog photoblog

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast